Sunday 11 May 2014

We Salute Mothers



Rev Gideon Lee

I'd like to start by sharing with you the Top 10 Sayings of Biblical Mothers 

10. Samson! Get your hand out of that lion. You don't know where it's been!

9. David! I told you not to play in the house with that sling! Go practice your harp. We pay good money for those lessons! 

8. Abraham! Stop wandering around the countryside and get home for supper! 

7. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego! I told you never to play with fire! 

6. Cain! Get off your brother! You're going to kill him some day! 

5. Noah! No, you can't keep them! I told you, don't bring home any more strays! 

4. Gideon! Have you been hiding in that wine press again? Look at your clothes!

3. James and John! No more burping contests at the dinner table, please. People are going to call you the sons of thunder! 

2. Judas! Have you been in my purse again?!

And the number one Biblical saying of mothers is: 

1. Jesus! Stop working on that old wood and come in and eat! You'd spend your life on that wood, if your father asked you to!

We know what Jesus is doing right? We are that wood and often it takes a lifetime for Jesus to do that work in us. 

Romans 16:1-16
Personal Greetings
1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea. 2 I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me.
3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus. 4 They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them. 5 Greet also the church that meets at their house.
Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia. 6 Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was. 8 Greet Ampliatus, whom I love in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my dear friend Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, tested and approved in Christ.
Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus. 11 Greet Herodion, my relative.
Greet those in the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord. 12 Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord.
Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brothers with them. 15 Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas and all the saints with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss.
All the churches of Christ send greetings.

How many of you wondered why God put these names at the end of this passage. What benefit can we possible gain from this passage of scripture? I must confess often I skip when I come across passages like these. 

But I want to say that whatever God puts in the bible, it has value. This is a Mother's Day passage. 

Of all the 26 people that was mentioned, Paul singled out 6 that were women. Some say Paul was a male chauvinist. That he's one sided towards the male. But here we see he mentioned specifically 6 women. He took the time to appreciate ladies. They were tremendous influence not just in his life but in ministry. 

He comes to verse 13 where he gave his greetings and then that Rufus's mother was also a motherly figure to Paul. We don't know who this Rufus were but that she was chosen of the Lord. The mother was instrumental in Paul's life and had been like a mother to him. 

Today we celebrate Mother's Day but there are some churches that don't celebrate Mother's Day but I beg to defer because I think there is a place to honour our mothers and fathers. Also our spiritual fathers and mothers in the church. 

There are a few things we want to look at. 

We want to salute mothers today because of her tenacious love. 

What does tenacious means to you? Have you seen a bulldog? Once its jaws lock on something it won't let go. You can whack it but it will just hang on. That's why many like to use them as guard dogs. The bible tells us that mothers have this tenacious love for their children. 

Let me give you an example. When I go to the hospitals, who is the person that will stay overnight? It's the mothers. They just have the kind of capacity to do so. My children was sick these few days. Jayden runs to the mom and clings to her. Josiah came home also sick and I thought I'd be a hero and take care of Josiah. I see what his mom did but I cannot see how my wife can do it. He will run to my wife and my wife will comfort him. For me I'd tell him to stop whining. He'd say its painful, and I'll shout and say "yes, just deal with it!". Mothers are made different. Mothers have this tenacious love. 

We salute them because they have tremendous impact in our lives. 

You have heard its been said that "The hands that rock the cradle rules the world". All of us have had some influence from our mothers. 

I remembered how my mother influenced me. There was a point in my life when I was so far from God that my mom was worried for me and she got the church members to pray for me. And I sincerely believe it is because of that that I am here today. 

Mothers, your words and prayers have tremendous influence. I feel that God gives special attention to a mother's prayer. Mothers, if you have children that are wayward, never give up. God hears your prayers. When you place your children in God's hands, your children will come to realize there is a God. 

Spiritual mothers, are you praying for someone. Pray for that person and you will see God's hands moving in these lives. How many of you heard of John Wesley. It is said if you do not know his mother Susanna Wesley, you will never understand John Wesley. The same with Abraham Lincoln. He said the person constantly in his mind is his mother. 

I pray we not only honour our mothers only on Mother's Day. Mother's Day is so commercialized now like Valentines Day but it does not mean we do not appreciate them. I pray we do not think of our mothers only on Mother's Day. 

We salute the mothers because a home is not complete without a mother. 

It is a mothers love that makes a home a home. That's why we call it home sweet home. If not it's just a building. It is a mothers home that makes it complete. When I shifted up to Penang one of the things I think of is my mother who is in Klang. She is staying with my younger brother. When I go to my mom, I can just talk to her even if she cannot solve or understand my problems but she always makes it better. That's what a mom does for us. When she is there things get taken care of. 

For my children, they know that mom will give them the tender loving care. Next month I will talk about dads. We need both. 

Love your mothers. How many of you have hugged your mom today? If they are around I mean. Do it not only today. How many of you will take your mom out for lunch today? Moms, can you let your children pay today? If you can save money for your Samsung S4 or is it S5 now, you can buy lunch for your mom. Can?

Melissa's beautiful solo dedicated to all mothers,  "Because you love me".

All mothers, grandmothers, mothers to be and those wanting to be mothers 
invited by pastor to the altar at the end of the service.

Pastor Gideon praying for all those who responded to his invitation.

Mothers receiving their gift from TOP's youth.


No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...