Sunday 18 May 2014

TOP's Baby from God

Pastor Pauline Ding

Today I'm coming here to challenge you. This is a mission challenge meeting. I was supposed to come and share a short session but on Friday pastor told me I'll be sharing the sermon for Sunday. I had a long funeral yesterday. The longest I have attended but praise God I have a message for you today. 

Today's message is TOP's Baby from God. I was wondering what message to share so God gave me this topic. 

As we see this building, the building is not the baby. It is the place that will house the baby. When Jesus was born he needed a place. So we looked for a place to have the baby. 

Yesterday Bro Wilbur and Bro Joseph were there and the aircon and lights were up. Today I want you to take ownership of this baby. It is our baby, not just mine. We partner with God to do this ministry for him. 

But now let's read from the bible. 

Luke 21:26-38
Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
29 He told them this parable:“Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30 When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.
32 “I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
34 “Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. 35 For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”
37 Each day Jesus was teaching at the temple, and each evening he went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives, 38 and all the people came early in the morning to hear him at the temple.

Matthew 1:18-25
The Birth of Jesus Christ
18 This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about:His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:23 “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” –which means, “God with us.”
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Last week we had Mother's Day and we talked about the tenacity of a mother. This week we are talking about bringing forth a baby. 

Mary bore a child who is the redeemer. God has come to choose you all like Mary and Joseph. I will come to it in a while but I want to talk a little about the history how it all started. 

In Dec 2004, tsunami hit Penang from Gurney Drive to the airport side. When it happened I asked what is the church doing about it? One pastor commented that the need is too overwhelming so cannot do anything. Then God asked me what are you doing about it? I was looking at others but God was looking at me. 

I was a poor person with no resources but God said to give my five loaves and two fishes. God is asking for what we have in our hands. At that time we had a lot of towels from Rasa Sayang which was doing renovation work so we took all the towels and gave them out. 

I was poor at that time so I looked at the need near the airport which was nearer for me. I teamed up with Wellesley Methodist Church to help and I told my friends and got the support so we bought pillows etc to give them. After the tsunami, they had empty houses so slowly we put back the necessities in the hard core poor houses. 

Slowly I know everybody and support came because they know I know where the needs are. I collected thousands of dollars for them and continued to bless these people. There was a Simon who told me what I needed I just have to ask. 

During Chinese New Year I had a pastor came to sponsor an event for Chinese New Year. The second one was Easter where I had an evangelistic meeting. The first was a total disaster because the pastor was late and it rained. But the second one was the birth of this church. Pastor Kenneth came and I felt that this baby could be cared for by him. It's not about money, other churches can give but we needed worker and God used him to built the church for three years. 

Teluk Kumbar was so remote even to find a toilet was difficult. It was hard for me at that time. So ulu (backward). Until today there is no petrol kiosk. To buy petrol I have to go to Bayan Lepas or Balik Pulau. Very ulu. But God put this in my heart. 

50 years ago missionaries came to start a church but nobody could start a church. Pastor Kenneth could not find a building for 3 years until somebody found a place in Gertak Sanggul where a pig farm was. It's the end of the road to a fishing village. Everybody knows everybody else. Small place. 

After another 3 years something happened and the church was closed down. Pastor Kenneth tried to find a worker but nobody wanted because it was so remote. 

I got so vengeful when I heard. How can close down what God has started so I took it up by faith. As I took it up God used different people to help me revive this church. Four core members and bro Simon was one of them. 

As I took up this church it was difficult to get the other members of about 30
to come back. People who are offended by this church, it's difficult for them to come back. I didn't look at the difficulty because I know God loves them and want the church to carry on. 

No one knows about the beginning except me and God encourages me when a 66 year old man accepted the Lord. He came 4 times and then he accepted the Lord. 

Our worship is very vibrant, the board members who visited will know, and this man walked in and got complete healing even though nobody touched him. The miracle happened like the lame man with Peter and John. He could hardly walk but now he can march in and even jump with both feet. He was so happy. We showed the passion of Christ on Good Friday and he accepted Christ. He is with us for 3 years and got baptised. He is faithful and sell groceries. In the 2 years there
God encouraged me with one soul. One sheep but he said he is the big sheep because he is quite big size. 

I went through tough time in the 2 years because my mother was sick and I also went through difficult time and in tears and broken heart I still have to drive there for this one sheep. Remember God said he will leave the 99 for that one sheep. 

Because to went through so much difficulty I cannot do full time so I did another job. There was a church who wanted to support me from KL but because I could not fulfill the requirements since I am not full time I lost the support. So I had no mother church. 

I used to fetch one car load from Tanjung Bungah to Gertak Sanggul. It was by the grace of God that I could do it. It's so far. So I decided to stay at Gertak Sanggul. I thought it was so hard to find a mother church to support I decided to find others to attend my church. If I have 15 I can have a sovereign church. I found out it was so much work to get so many members as I have to fetch them. I was cook, musician, driver, preacher and I was burnt out finally and was ready to close down. Enough I said to myself. 

God used every situation to turn out for good. Being burnt out I was looking at how I can get help and looked at what is God's way. God said no to me for wanting to close down so in October I told the members cuti dua minggu but I was afraid to tell them I wanted to close down. 

A sister from your Hokkien service gave me an envelope of 300.00 ringgit for me to win souls. I was thinking I was going to close down but here I was given money to win souls. I was still burnt out but the faithful members was still attending. Even by night they were still there until mosquitoes came. 

Then pastor Cindy preached that God is going to bring many souls to this church. I confessed to her later that I wanted to close down the church. Pastor Cindy got the members to pray for me. 

So now no mother church, license also no more so I looked for a base church. At least I can get back my license. So I spoke to pastor Gideon about my vision for Teluk Kumbar, not Gertak Sanggul. That was my original plan. We prayed just for a base church. No giving up and cannot close. I was surprised the first time I spoke to pastor Gideon he challenged me to go full time and be a pastor for TOP. I was working at Penang Care and they wanted me to take over but with this I needed to pray for a replacement. In January a pastor called up and said my wife got nothing to do so got work for her or not. Praise God, he supplied the replacement. 

So God has moved and God answered all my prayers so fast. Don't you think this is God's plan? God cleared all my problems. No more excuses. This is TOP's baby. My vision is to the nations. It must reach out to all the nations. This is my mandate to do it. God showed that I'm going to pastor a big church and I laughed like Sarah. I only pastored one soul for two years. 

God is changing me and I am growing so fast. From the first time I shared with you all and now it's different. This church is not Hokkien only but it is going to be international. I already invited two Myanmarese. It is going to be international. At the pig farm there is a lot of Myanmarese. I found 2 Myanmarese bibles and as I looked at the bible and the only word I know is that this is a Myanmar bible. I learn how to flip the bible. I just flip to the page and ask them to read. God shows me how to use the Myanmar bible. I can share the gospel even though I don't know a single word. 

God is telling me he is reaching out to these people. It is all about the heart. God loves us so much. 

When I first came it was your 35th anniversary. I was asking myself what is this church doing? 35 years and still no baby. Like those so occupied with career and no time for children. So I challenge you it is time to have a baby. Not rebuke you but to challenge you it is time to have a baby. 

The baby are the people and the souls out there. If you don't want a baby it is a burden. But if you want the baby, we can do something wonderful for God. If we can take ownership. It is called TOPTK. My new card is I am assistant pastor. I am one of the worker together with you. The message is not arise shine. God asked me to tell you that this is our baby. It is not my church. I am a worker with you and not the chief pastor. Can we work together. I am not calling you to come and help me or join. But can you see it is a baby that belong to us. 

I belong to a category like in Isaiah who shall send me? Who will say here am I, send me. If you don't feel a special call but you are stirred by the word of God, take ownership of this baby that God has chosen. Let's take care of this baby and not abort the baby. We should avail ourselves to God and ask how can we get involve. 

Pastor Pauline requesting prayer from Pastor Gideon before her sermon
Pastor praying for John Kuras and Jackie who will be leaving for the U.S. and new members Patricia and John.


No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...