Sunday 4 May 2014

Duplicate Yourself

Rev Gideon Lee

I have actually prepared a message on what happened after resurrection Sunday. But I also prepared a short devotion for our AGM. But I felt I want to switch it around. So I am going to share my devotion for the AGM this morning. I will keep today's message for another day. 

Exodus 18
Jethro Visits Moses
1 Now Jethro, the priest of Midian and father- in- law of Moses, heard of everything God had done for Moses and for his people Israel, and how the Lord had brought Israel out of Egypt.
2 After Moses had sent away his wife Zipporah, his father- in- law Jethro received her 3 and her two sons. One son was named Gershom, for Moses said, “I have become an alien in a foreign land”; 4 and the other was named Eliezer, for he said, “My father’s God was my helper; he saved me from the sword of Pharaoh.”
5 Jethro, Moses’ father- in- law, together with Moses’ sons and wife, came to him in the desert, where he was camped near the mountain of God. 6 Jethro had sent word to him, “I, your father- in- law Jethro, am coming to you with your wife and her two sons.”
7 So Moses went out to meet his father- in- law and bowed down and kissed him. They greeted each other and then went into the tent. 8 Moses told his father- in- law about everything the Lord had done to Pharaoh and the Egyptians for Israel’s sake and about all the hardships they had met along the way and how the Lord had saved them.
9 Jethro was delighted to hear about all the good things the Lord had done for Israel in rescuing them from the hand of the Egyptians. 10 He said, “Praise be to the Lord, who rescued you from the hand of the Egyptians and of Pharaoh, and who rescued the people from the hand of the Egyptians. 11 Now I know that the Lord is greater than all other gods, for he did this to those who had treated Israel arrogantly.” 12 Then Jethro, Moses’ father- in- law, brought a burnt offering and other sacrifices to God, and Aaron came with all the elders of Israel to eat bread with Moses’ father- in- law in the presence of God.
13 The next day Moses took his seat to serve as judge for the people, and they stood around him from morning till evening. 14 When his father- in- law saw all that Moses was doing for the people, he said, “What is this you are doing for the people? Why do you alone sit as judge, while all these people stand around you from morning till evening?”
15 Moses answered him, “Because the people come to me to seek God’s will. 16 Whenever they have a dispute, it is brought to me, and I decide between the parties and inform them of God’s decrees and laws.”
17 Moses’ father- in- law replied, “What you are doing is not good. 18 You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone. 19 Listen now to me and I will give you some advice, and may God be with you. You must be the people’s representative before God and bring their disputes to him. 20 Teach them the decrees and laws, and show them the way to live and the duties they are to perform. 21 But select capable men from all the people–men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain –and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 22 Have them serve as judges for the people at all times, but have them bring every difficult case to you; the simple cases they can decide themselves. That will make your load lighter, because they will share it with you. 23 If you do this and God so commands, you will be able to stand the strain, and all these people will go home satisfied.”
24 Moses listened to his father- in- law and did everything he said. 25 He chose capable men from all Israel and made them leaders of the people, officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 26 They served as judges for the people at all times. The difficult cases they brought to Moses, but the simple ones they decided themselves.
27 Then Moses sent his father- in- law on his way, and Jethro returned to his own country.

Sometimes I insist that we read the whole chapter instead of a few lines. We need to get the proper context of the verses and not just pick one verse. We see here Jethro Moses's father-in-law, saw what was happening to Moses. 

He was sitting as a judge from morning to evening. The people will bring their disputes to him. All kinds were being brought to him. Some were quite serious but some were very simple disputes. I don't know how we classify them but Jethro was telling Moses he cannot go on like that. That he will wear himself out. 

In this passage there is a lot of principles we can garner for ministry. He gave Moses some advice. 

He told Moses he can still be the leader and teach them decrees and laws but he should also appoint capable and godly men. Let them be in charge of thousands, hundreds and tens. Jethro was trying to find a very simple structure to help Moses so that he will not wear himself out. 

There are probably two reasons. One is so that Moses won't wear out serving from morning till evening. He also say so that the people will be satisfied with him. Moses was hearing all the problem and it is impossible for one man to hear all the problems. So some people will be left out and be dissatisfied. 

The first thing you need to know is that one person can't do everything. But that doesn't mean one person don't do anything. No matter how talented or gifted you are, you cannot do everything. Look at Moses, who was mightily used by God, will also burn out. 

Those leaders here, cell leaders, ministry leaders I want you to know you cannot do everything. We need to learnt the art of delegation. Delegation is not something the world or corporate sectors teach us. It's already in the bible. But Jethro told Moses he still do his job as representative to God but he needs to equip the people. Duplicate himself. 

What is the fruit of a durian tree? Durian? Wrong. The fruit is another durian tree. The reason why the durian produce fruit is what? For us to eat is it? The reason is to reproduce itself. The fruit fall to the grown and dies and until the seed dies and begin to bear fruit by sprouting another durian tree that produces fruit, it will not serve its purpose. 

What is the fruit of a Christian? Love, joy, peace? Another Christian! You're suppose to duplicate yourself. You are suppose to bear another Christian. I use the word Christian not a convert ya. That is the fruit of a Christian. 

For me what I want to do is to duplicate myself. How I do that? I teach and equip the people the decrees and the law. I cannot do everything also. That is the secret. I cannot do everything. 

That is why we have board members. ministry leaders. If the guitar string broke and you ask me to fix the strings, you won't hear anything on Sunday. I don't know everything. We have put into place a structure where if there is anything you can see them. We have cell leaders and assistant cell leaders. 

We already have leaders over thousands, hundreds and tens. But it is not enough. We need more to rise up and take their position in church. 

Moses was advised to do this and he put up the structure and it worked. We want to do this in our church. But we need you all to rise up. To say pastor here am I. Ready to serve. 

Recently I read an article where a pastor took over a church. The church was quite big with a lot of members and facilities but only a small percentage was serving. Statistically it is found that 20% is serving while the rest is not. The pastor was frustrated seeing this. He decided to write a letter to all members of the church. 

He wrote and said that he wants them to serve in this church. If they are not serving in this church they are free to attend another church. It was a radical letter and after the letter was sent, some people left. But some of them who read, God convicted them and the church became alive. People began to start serving and he saw a change in church. But of course I am not doing this here but I want to challenge you. We need people to rise up. I want to tell you your cell leaders are tired. Some of the head of ministry can get tired serving Sunday after Sunday. 

Some cell leaders have tried their best and given their best but they are tired. I'll tell them I have a model for my ministry. I want to train people up and duplicate themselves. Delegate I told them. They don't have to do everything. Do you know what's the reply? Pastor we want to delegate but delegate to who? There is nobody. Nobody wants to rise up. If we all rise up and take a little bit of the load it makes everything lighter. 

If you are serving in this capacity, I want you to see where else you can serve. Some of us can worship lead. Start in the cell. Everything can be learned. We can help and train you but you must be willing. You will never know the hidden talent until you dig for it. 

There are many diamonds and talented people in the church. You look rough on the outside but shining on the inside. 

One reason why people don't want to serve is that they are afraid. They are afraid of making mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. We just learn from them. Some people are afraid of the commitment. We need to rise up and step out for God. We can't do everything ourselves. We need people to rise up and stand with us. 

I am glad the board members who served in the previous term have agreed to stand this term. It tells me a lot about these people and what is happening in the church. Serve for two years and still willing to serve again. I am thankful for them. But what's better? More new people will stand up and accept their nomination. I long for the day when I send out the nomination and more people will say they will serve. 

The fact of the matter is we need to step out. Our church is going somewhere. We are not here just to fill the seats and hi and bye. We are going somewhere. There is a direction that God is leading the church. 

We have already started the outreach at Teluk Kumbar. It is in my heart that our church plant churches. I cannot do everything so I pray God will send people. And in God's timing he brought pastor Pauline. We are already doing the renovation now. 

I want to plant churches. Come on church. We need to plant more churches. God is coming back soon. Where there is no lighthouse let us plant a lighthouse. But we need people. Already pastor Pauline is asking for helpers to help her. She needs people to help her run the service. Am I making sense to you church? We need more hands. 

You may say I don't know anything. I do not believe you are good for nothing. I believe if you avail yourself God can use you. We want to send a team to help her for service. I thank God he is sending people along our way. Now is the time we need to move. Because I believe when God provides the manpower we need to move. 

Bro John here is going to join us first of May. He resigned from his job because  he has a heart for ministry. Before this he was working in a security firm. He comes from KL and was helping his pastor to run a drug rehab ministry. He came to see me and said he did not feel fulfilled and he wants to do ministry. So he is coming in to be like our admin assistant. He will be like the church custodian. He will learn to do everything and to help pastor Pauline I the church. He will also help us in the maintain if the building. I told bro Wilbur to take him under his wings. Also the security of the church and also in ministry. We need more people. 

I have good news for you. You know how long we have been looking for an administrator for our church. Since I was here, my fourth year to find someone is a unique situation. What more an administrator. In charge of the office. We have to find someone from within our church. The person must be a Christian. I cannot advertise in the newspaper must be Christian. Or look for the person from other churches. Cannot because the administrator must be our church member. Because there are P&C information. How can our administrator attend another church. We have been praying for this person. Someone who is a person in good standing in the church. Must have the right qualification. How many of you want to work in the church? There had to be a call of God. What can we offer you? You want big title, huge benefit we cannot offer though we will be fair. You will also be dealing with the members of the church, not easy. 

But I feel this is a kairos time for our church. We have our administrator but I cannot tell you now as we need to do all the paper work. Now we need to look for more pastors. Are you ready? I need your help. I cannot do everything alone. Cannot do big do small. Cannot do small do smaller. 

We need more worship leaders and musician. Tell your neighbour Pastor say no retirement. The second floor is available to us. MayBank is surrendering their keys. I asked God if it's time and God said in his time God will make all things beautiful. 

We compare with other churches. Praise God for the other churches but the fact that God planted you here says something. We always say the grass is greener on the other side so why don't we water our grass to make it greener? Every church God has called for a specific reason so let's just run our race. Water the grass on our side and serve in the church. In no time our grass will be greener. 

So this morning can we do that? How far the church will go will depend on us. I am not saying God is not in the picture but you need to give your five loaves and two fishes. Can we do that church? I can't do everything. 

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...