Sunday 8 December 2013

God himself couldn't sink the Titanic

Kenny Song at Calvary Assembly

I got a Facebook chat message from your pastor asking if I can come speak one Sunday and I told him “Oh, usually my wife do all the talking”, to which he promptly answered “Good to hear the silent partner for a change”. So if I am truly the silent partner like what your pastor says, it will be a very quiet service this morning (laughs).

We are always very happy to be here with you and your pastor have been a tremendous blessing to TOP helping to mentor Topians through the ICI courses.

I was actually a little undecided about what I wanted to share this morning but looking at my own life at this point of time and looking back, I felt this may minister to you. My wife and I are proud grandparents with my grandson having just celebrated his first birthday. We have walked with the Lord for most of our life and have had our fair share of ups and downs. In my business we have gone through some storms and at this juncture, I am looking at preparing my exit plan or succession plan so priorities in our life has somewhat changed.

Today I am going to draw some insights from an incident about a famous ocean liner. Any guesses? We were stuck in a jam this week at Weld Quay because a huge cruise ship just docked and tourist buses were everywhere, so that kind of led me to think about this too. 

The historic event I am talking about has been made into several movies with one being a multi Academy Award winner. I guess you know by now I am talking about the Titanic. Philip Franklin, vice president of the White Star Line in NY made the announcement of the sinking on 14 April 1912.

But the movie by James Cameron is not so much about the Titanic but more about a young couple’s love story. “I jump you jump!”. So I am not drawing the information from that movie. Rather, an in depth documentary by National Geographic in both their publication and on video has the facts that I am looking for. I am a subscriber to National Geographic and have every issue from 1983 so it was something that interest me. My Astro subscription is on Sports and Information channel so you can tell I am a non-fiction man, unlike my wife.

I will also draw some survivor accounts on what happened that night from the book "Unsinkable": The Full Story of the RMS Titanic, by Daniel Allen Butler.

The tragedy still interests people for many reasons.

Major loss of life: Over 1500 people died, the greatest number of deaths in a non-military transportation accident up to that time (and I don't know of any greater since that time).

The amazing character of the ship:
  • It was the largest ship of that day (though larger have been built since).
  • It was one of the fastest ships of that day, but not the fastest (and faster have been built since).
  • It was on its maiden voyage
  • It was the most luxurious ship ever built.

Amazing "coincidences" that contributed to the tragedy: Numerous details, anyone of which, if it had happened differently, would have prevented the ship from sinking or prevented the loss of so many lives.
  • The ship's sailing had been postponed for three weeks. Had she sailed any other time, the iceberg would not have been there. 
  • If the ship had traveled one mile per hour faster or slower, the iceberg would have been in a different position.
  • The iceberg was "blue," the most difficult kind to see.
  • The night was moonless -- no light to show the iceberg.
  • The night was windless. Wind would have made waves to splash on the iceberg making it more visible. 
  • Men in the crow's nest had no lookout glasses. They were on the ship, but had been misplaced.
  • Even so, the crew saw the iceberg in time to begin turning. If the crew had seen the iceberg 10 seconds sooner, the ship would have missed it.
  • If the crew had seen the iceberg ten seconds later, they would have hit it head on, causing damage which would not have sunk the ship. The ship sank because it grazed the berg, slicing open a long section of its side. 
  • The ship could carry over 3000 people, but had lifeboats for only 1178 (this was all that laws then required). Even so, only 700 people actually got in the lifeboats.
Recent interest in the tragedy has been stirred by the fact the wreckage was found and explored underwater in the 1980's.

Perhaps the greatest cause of interest is that the ship sank on her very first voyage despite the fact that many people believed it to be "unsinkable" or nearly so.

I am seeing how we can learn some spiritual lessons from the sinking of the Titanic.

1. The Futility of Wealth

Facts about the Titanic.

The luxury of the ship was incredible.
First-class accommodations rivalled the finest hotels on shore.
The first-class dining hall could seat 500 people in one room - on a ship!
The greatest showpiece was the Grand Staircase, which ascended four decks.
The cost for a one-way passage in the finest suites would equate to $80,000 in 1997 money!
The passengers included some of the world's greatest millionaires. 
The man who designed the ship was also on board and died.

What can we learn?

In life, wealth has its advantages but in death, we are all equal. Whether they were millionaires or stowaways in the liner, those that died a watery death died the same.

Ecclesiastes 5:15 - As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor which he may carry away in his hand.

Likewise, no amount of money can ultimately prevent a man's death. When a rich man dies, he leaves just like the poorest man who ever lived.

Therefore, God warns us not to trust in riches.

1 Timothy 6:17 - Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.

Matthew 16:26 - For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 

Money cannot buy you and I a place in heaven. When we face Jesus in judgment, what matters will be how we lived, not how much we were worth. What is your goal in life? Do you live as though this world is most important? Are you living so you will be ready for the day you die?

2. The Danger of Overconfidence

Facts about the Titanic.

Many passengers and crew members believed the Titanic to be unsinkable, and the ship's designers believed it was almost true.

One passenger asked a ship's agent for extra insurance on some valuables in her luggage. The agent replied, "Ridiculous. This boat's unsinkable"

After the ship had struck the iceberg, a passenger asked her employer if they should do something about it. He replied, "Go back to bed. This ship is unsinkable"

One passenger asked a dock hand, "Is this ship really unsinkable?" The man replied, "Yes, lady. God Himself couldn't sink this ship" 

What can we learn?

There is danger of pride and faith in human achievements. Many today put so much faith in man’s abilities they don’t realise their need for God.

Humanism says that there is no force or intelligence on earth higher than mankind. We must solve our own problems, for there is no one else to solve them.

Or they trust human learning: science, technology, or psychology. They believe we can completely control our world and do anything we want, without depending on God.

Sometimes, all we have to do is look at the fury of natural disasters and realise we are so helpless even against the calamity that hits our world. 

Proverbs 16:18 - Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.

Genesis 11:4-9 - The Titanic story is much like that of the tower of Babel. Men sought to do great things without depending on God. They thought "nothing they propose to do will be withheld from them." When men develop this pride, God often teaches us how humble and weak we really are.

Deuteronomy 8:17-18 - You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” 18 But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

James 1:17 - God is the giver of every good and perfect gift.

Sometimes, when we look back at our lives, we are so thankful to God for every blessings. The hymns sings “Count your blessings name them one by one”. Let us never forget where our blessings came from. It is not just the fruit of our labour but an open heaven for his children. Seek ye first...

3. The Fine Line between Life and Death

Facts about the Titanic.

The Titanic struck the iceberg shortly before midnight. Some passengers were asleep, but many were still partying. The band was playing. People were dancing, eating, enjoying life. They were confident life would go on, because the ship was "unsinkable."

The ship sank just 2 1/2 hours later at 2:20 AM. Many were still in their party clothes. Others were still in their night clothes, dressed for bed. Many died that way. None expected to die that night.

What can we learn?

James 4:13,14 - You don't know what will happen tomorrow. Life is like a vapour that appears for a little time, then vanishes away.

Job 14:2 - Man comes forth like a flower and fades away; he flees like a shadow and does not continue.

Proverbs 27:1 - Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth.

Life is never certain. We cannot tell what will happen tomorrow. We are only sure of the now, and what we do now matters. Life and death is real.

My Testimony:

This brings to my remembrance of my family's salvation. I am born 14 years after my sister and 11 years after my brother. My father said I was an accident. He was being kind. My mother said she found me from the tong sampah! (laughs). But I was the one who was religious and followed my father to the temple every full moon cycle to pray and even crawl under the altar table. My brother and sister had no interest. 

That's why my parents think I am the good son. My wife knows better (laughs). My brother was more interested in gambling. My sister was the rebellious one. She ran to Singapore and only called back to tell my father that she's there working in Singapore Airlines. 

My sister was saved in Singapore. And it happened in a most unexpected manner. She and my bro-in-law was childless and they tried everything, from religious help to medical aid. They spent a lot of money trying. 

Then one day, my sister's colleague in SIA asked her, have you tried God. My sister said she had tried all kinds of gods including the temples. Her colleague said no, I am talking about THE GOD that created you and everything else. 

My sis didn't pursue it until one day as she was passing a church, she heard singing and remembered what the colleague told her. She went in and people were praying. She knelt beside a lady and started to try pray. But she heard the lady crying and asking God to intervene in her family and her husband had left her and she has children to care for. My sister was moved with compassion and prayed for this lady instead. She was immediately slained by the Spirit. Remember, she didn't know what all this was about so the pastor asked if she's a Christian and she said no. The pastor explained to her what happened and led her to Christ. 

The following day, my sister called back home and told my dad that she has something very important to tell the whole family and asked that all be around. 

I am used to having Christians witness to me. I hated Christians as I think they are bothersome. Just to let you know how much I hated them, I refused to play a badminton tournament because it was held in a badminton hall of a church! Who knows I'll one day be here in a church preaching a sermon (laughs). 

But when my sister came and shared with us, it was different. The conviction was different. She said she had to quickly come in case anything happen to any of us, she will not see us in heaven. Life and death was so real to her and she was desperate for us to be saved. 

After she left, my father told me "your sister is lost". She has always done what she wanted so it's her choice. My father asked me if I will be the son that carry on the family's tradition and I promised him I will. You see, ancestral worship was very important to my dad. 

I came back to Penang for my studies but from that day on, I had no peace. What my sister shared kept troubling me. Then after I finished my schooling and was coming back to Alor Star, I made my first prayer. I asked God, whoever you are, if you are real I want to know you. On the ferry back to Alor Star, at that time there were no Penang Bridge, I heard a voice so clear, "if you want my peace, throw this away." It was the Buddha amulet I was wearing. It was a struggle but I knew what I had to do. I took it off and threw it into the sea. Peace flooded in and that is the peace I have until today. 

But I now contemplate how to tell my father. I made him a promise. What I didn't know was that God was also dealing with my father. In my room in Alor Star, I hung a Christian plaque my sister gave me. "Be the mirror that shines The light" above my bed. 

My dad for no reason asked if he can go into my room for a while. He never goes into my room but I said okay, not knowing what he was up to. 15 minutes later, he came out crying and told everyone from this day forth we will no longer hold the joss stick. 

You see, God was dealing with my dad and he was struggling too. He went into my room, knelt down by my bed and asked God for a sign. Unlike me, he needed a sign. And that plaque just fell into his raised hands. To my father that was the sign he needed. God answered his prayer. 

That weekend he wanted to go to church but we didn't know any in Alor Star. My sister gave me Rev Fred Seaward's Charismatic Fellowship address at Dewan Sri Pinang and my dad said we are all driving to Penang to attend church. 

I called my sister to tell her the good news and she said "I am flying out to be with you all". She took the 7.30pm flight. Meanwhile in Penang, we entered the church at 7.30pm. As Rev Fred Seaward finished his sermon his altar call was typical of him. "If you were to die right here where you are seated, where will you be, heaven or hell? No nonsense preaching. I love preachers like that. As they played "Just as I am without one plea..." each of us walked down to the front on our own, my father, my mother, my brother, my sister-in-law and myself all crying like babies. 

My sister touched down at 8.45pm and told the taxi driver you must reached Dewan Sri by 9.30pm. It's life and death she says! And he did. When she walked into the church she saw the whole Song family at the altar receiving Christ! Hallelujah!

Why am I telling you this? Our salvation was a matter of life and death to her and I am glad she made that trip to witness to the family. I may not be here if she had not acted in urgency. Life and death...it's a fine line.

That was just point number 3 (laughs). Last but not least.

4. The Danger of Doing Nothing

Facts about the Titanic.

Various Titanic passengers testified about people who died because they were convinced nothing could be done to save them. One passenger described the following scene which occurred as the ship sank:

"Hundreds were in a circle with a preacher in the middle, praying, crying, asking God to help them. They lay there, still crying, till the water was over their heads. They just prayed and yelled, never lifting a hand to help themselves. They had lost their own willpower and expected God to do all their work for them."

Note that these people did nothing to help themselves because of their religious beliefs and the influence of a preacher. As a result, they all died.

What can we learn?

Many people today likewise believe there is nothing they need to do to be saved. They believe that God will do all the work. There is nothing to do except believe in God and "pray the sinners prayer." Specifically, they deny that baptism is necessary, because it is something you do.

Don't misunderstand me. It is true, we cannot earn salvation, and nothing we do could save us if Jesus had not died and made salvation possible. By dying He gave us the opportunity to be saved. But in order for us to receive His forgiveness, He requires us to obey Him.

If my sister had not obeyed and come up to Alor Star but just seek God for a child, and be contented for having found God, we would not have heard the gospel. 

Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Hebrews 5:9 - Jesus became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.

Philippians 2:12 - Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

As believers, we need to “trust and obey”. The trust is in believing that God is able and the obey is in following after Christ’s servanthood ministry. He was our example. We cannot be passive Christians. 

I pray that today, as we examine our walk with God, we get our priorities right.

Remember the four lessons we learned this morning.

The Futility of Wealth - let us never trust our riches
Yes, God is good and has blessed many of us in so many ways. Let us never forget who is the source of our blessings.

The Danger of Overconfidence - pride goes before a fall
God has given us talents and abilities but we should always be reliant on God and never for a moment think we can go through life without him.

The Fine Line between Life and Death - we should never live our life carelessly
Life is fleeting. All of us cannot know when is our last day here before we go home so let us live responsibly.

The Danger of Doing Nothing - we should work while it is yet day
As much as we are reliant on God, we should not just sit still. We still need to put our hands to the plough and work.

I pray that this simple incident in history helps us draw some perspective on our own lives. Spend the next few moments to reflect on your own life. At this point of time in your walk with the Lord, where are you at? Are you busy making money and neglecting the things of God? Are you so preoccupied with yourself that God is at the peripheral? Do you have unsaved loved ones who have not yet heard the gospel? The bible promise us that when one in the household is saved, the rest will be saved too. But we need to obey and act. We do not know how much time we have left. 

If you want us to stand with you and to pray along with you in making a fresh commitment, or in praying for your unsaved loved ones, Sis Melinda and myself will be here to stand with you in prayer. 

At Calvary Assembly with my interpreter Bro Lucas.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...