Sunday 10 July 2016

God is Still In Control


Rev Gideon Lee

This morning I want to talk to some of you and I think you need to hear this message. That God is still in control.

Haggai 2:21-23
21 “Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying:
‘I will shake heaven and earth.
22 I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms;
I will destroy the strength of the Gentile kingdoms.
I will overthrow the chariots
And those who ride in them;
The horses and their riders shall come down,
Every one by the sword of his brother.
23 ‘In that day,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘I will take you, Zerubbabel My servant, the son of Shealtiel,’ says the Lord, ‘and will make you like a signet ring; for I have chosen you,’ says the Lord of hosts.”

Note that the word used here is the Lord Almighty.

There are many things in this world where we have no control over. Like the stock market. Whether it goes up or down. 

We have no control over the rising cost of living or wages that are stagnant. We have no control over what's happening around us even our own security. Like hand grenades being tossed into a new eating outlet. Or the shootings that's happening right, left and centre. Or the recent news that ISIS is coming here.

Many things happen where we have no control over.  A world in turmoil and uncertainty. Maybe some of you are dealing with some personal issues. Like bills you can't pay or issues at work. Or health issues.

But matter what you are going through I want you to know there is one who is totally in control and his name is Jesus. When we see what's happening fear creeps in. And we forget who is in control.

My outline is like this.

  1. He has a sovereign plan for you and me.
  2. He possesses supreme power.
  3. He has selected you and me for this special plan.

He is omniscient. He is all knowing. He knows all things. He is omnipotent. He is all powerful. And he is omnipresent. Always present, everywhere all the time. This is the God that we serve. This is the same God that we call Abba father.

Matthew 10:29-31
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

The sparrows are one of the most common bird. They are not really pretty. They don't sell sparrows into he bird shop. God says even if one of them falls to the ground God knows. Are you not more valuable than sparrows. God even knows how many hairs are on your head. We don't tak count of our hair but God knows. Some this unimportant as this God knows. Are you not more valuable than sparrows?

It also tells me that God is control because he knows how many sparrows died yesterday. What a comforting knowledge to know that he is concerned for us. He has a sovereign plan.

Our government is not in control. Our prime minister is not in control.

God has a sovereign plan.

He has a sovereign plan for your life. The word of the Lord came to Zerubbabel not one but twice. God spoke to Haggai that God has commissioned him to build the temple. God is in control because he has a plan. If God has a sovereign plan for us, then what is our response.

We need to be a willing vessel so that God can use us. God want to do that in our church. For each and everyone of us. All he ask is that we avail ourselves. Here am I, use me.

This morning when I went to the Hokkien service I was pleased to see a new worship leader. This morning I am also quite please to see Ephraim Song leading with Alvin. We need to avail ourselves.

God's plan is good but our response has to be here am I Lord, send me. We need more people to serve here. Church do you here me?

The plane and nothing if God has no power to accomplish it.

He possesses supreme power.

Haggai 2:21-23
21 “Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying:
‘I will shake heaven and earth.
22 I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms;
I will destroy the strength of the Gentile kingdoms.
I will overthrow the chariots
And those who ride in them;
The horses and their riders shall come down,
Every one by the sword of his brother.

There is great debate when is that day but it doesn't matter because it will come to pass. God has the power to shake the heavens and the earth. Who can do that? Only God can do that. The same God that says to the storm be still. Only God has power over nature according to the Jews.

He will overthrow rulers and government according to the scripture. How many of you are praying for your country. I want you to know God can turn things around. He possesses a sovereign plan for us and only him can dictate it. He has supreme power.

Pray for our chief minister Lim Guan Eng but understand that God is in control regardless of the outcome.

Romans 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

He is in control of our situation. We may not see his hand on it but let's trust his heart. That he is in control.

Because we have no need to fear because God is powerful. We need not fear those that may come and persecute us because he is powerful. We can be comforted by his power. He will work all thing out for good to all those that love him and is called according to his purpose.

He has selected you and me for this special plan.

v23 ‘In that day,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘I will take you, Zerubbabel My servant, the son of Shealtiel,’ says the Lord, ‘and will make you like a signet ring; for I have chosen you,’ says the Lord of hosts.”

A signet ring is use to authentic an instruction by using the ring to seal the letter. So that you know it comes from the emperor or king. It shows the authority given by the bearer. He has given us the authority. God has called each and everyone of us. We are to make disciples and he has given us the authority to do it. What has God called you personally to do? He did not save us to just come to church and look pretty.

Be brave enough to say here am I, use me. God gave us instructions through the word. Your instructions are found in the he word of God. He is telling you there is something he wants you to do.

God's calling contains a purpose and privilege. All of us will be rewarded with some crown that we can lay before the Lord and I hope all of us will have something for him.


We may all not start well but we should all end well. That's what's important.
SaveSave

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...