Sunday 14 August 2016

The Salt and the Light of the World

Rev Jeremiah Abel

This trip has been tremendous because I'm meeting people from 40 to 50 years ago that asked if I remember them. There was this Malay lady at registration that seems to remember me. I asked why is your name Trainee? She ran over and said pastor, I was at TOP when you were pastor. She's here and they even had a sleep over at our home before. Can you imagine that? I've had the same kind of encounters in Singapore, Alor Star and Ipoh. That's the joy of ministry.

How many of you like GST? You are smart. I thought many Malaysians don't like GST. You better love and like GST. You know why? Look up.

It is very appropriate that you look into this again. You need to understand this. I think you have a prophetic ministry coming soon. You need to check this out because Jesus is coming back soon. You need to be careful because there are all kinds of teaching and these are the last days.

Your theme is good and Ephesians 4:14-16 is very important and needful. Read it for me please.

I want to thank the Lord for the worship team. You sang some wonderful songs.

Matthew 5:13-16
Believers Are Salt and Light
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Is this particular teaching of Jesus reaching out to you or not? Who is the Lord addressing? You! You are the salt of the earth. If it loses its strength and quality what good is it?

I like the guava or jambu. I say guava because if you say jambu, is it the green or red ones? It is nice but you need salt and assam to bring out its taste. In Taiwan, Pastor Caleb would get me guava. The scripture is very clear, we are the salt.

Jesus also say we are the light of the world. Jesus is entrusting each one of us as the salt and light of the world. And the light cannot be hidden. So Tabernacle of Praise cannot be hidden. People of Penang need to know we are the salt and really the light that shines forth.

The light is put on a lamp stand so that it can be seen. If you look at these two verses the church needs to see its potential. Tabernacle of Praise needs to recognise this. I want you to remember three words.

  1. Believe
  2. Potential
  3. Action

What do you believe? What's your believe? Today the church is not teaching the whole gospel. Now they sang the song I believe in God the Father, I believe in Jesus Christ and I believe the Holy Spirit. I believe in the new life and the crucifixion and I believe he conquered death and he resurrected and he's coming back again. That's the song my daughters sang and we need to believe. We have a heavenly father and loving father who knows our every need. He knows all about us.

There are two great prayers in some old denominational churches. The Lord's prayer. And it must be done reverently.

What's the next one that the evangelical churches have forgotten. What is that? The Apostles' Creed. Who said that? Where did you hear that? From the Methodist Church. It's a great doctrinal statement. They made sure that they were repeating that. Until some times it becomes meaningless but they repeat it. I believe in God the Father, I believe in Jesus the Son….

We need to understand this because this is our belief.

Romans 10:9
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Salvation only comes from Jesus Christ. And we need to pray for the lost. Many of the "Ms" are coming to the Lord. Millions are coming to the Lord. What does Acts 4:12 says?

Acts 4:12
Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Whose name is that? Jesus. No other name.

And John 3:16. All of us know that. Jesus is the only one. 

Luke 19:10
for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

We need to understand this. Salvation is by no other means. Jesus came to seek and save those who are lost. There are millions that are lost.

The homosexual community uses a rainbow flag as symbol. What does the Bible say about the rainbow, it's a promise that God will not destroy the world again. But what did God said about the homosexuals in Sodom and Gomorrah? It's an abomination to the Lord.

Philippians 4:13
I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency].

You have strength for all things in Christ who empowers you. You have such potential church. You are self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

I was flying from here to Canada and there was this lady by me who asked for water. She took a number of pills. She's Chinese educated but I thought I should pray for her. So I asked if I can pray for her. And so I did. The next moment she digs in her bag and took out biscuits. Biscuits, where got room in my luggage for it. She gave them to me and then she pulls out her passport and she wanted me to know her name. The address was in Taichung. I called Caleb in Taiwan and I told him what happened. So I told him to check her out. And he told Pastor Caleb that if I go to Taiwan to go see her. We all have opportunities to share.

1 John 4:4
Little children, you are of God [you belong to Him] and have [already] defeated and overcome them [the agents of the antichrist], because He Who lives in you is greater (mightier) than he who is in the world.

Who are these agents? Demons. But the Bible tells us greater is he who is in you that he who is interested the world.

The third one is action.

Acts 1:8
But you shall receive power (ability, efficiency, and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem and all Judea and Samaria and to the ends (the very bounds) of the earth.

The gospel has already reached all over the world. You can be a witness and a blessing. Be a witness and blessing. Time is coming along and we are living at the very end of the church age.

Matthew 28:19
Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Events are pointing to the coming of the Lord. And we cannot be sitting here, pay our tithes and believe that the pastor and the board will do all the work. It is the work of every one of us.

John 4:34-35
34 Jesus said to them, My food (nourishment) is to do the will (pleasure) of Him Who sent Me and to accomplish and completely finish His work.
35 Do you not say, It is still four months until harvest time comes? Look! I tell you, raise your eyes and observe the fields and see how they are already white for harvesting.

Jesus loves everyone. It was a hot afternoon and he sat there and asked his disciples to get some food. He was at Jacob's well. All the disciples left. He knew who was going to come. So this lady came with a pot of water. Jesus asked for water to drink. This was a Samaritan women and Jesus as a Jew was asking for water. Jesus said living water. She said who are you? If you read the whole chapter you'll see how Jesus identified himself. That's when she realised she needs the living water.

The disciples came along and saw the woman running away. They ask Jesus to eat the food and that was what Jesus said verses 34 and 35. What is his will and pleasure? To share the gospel to others. All of us have work and role to do. You can witness to someone that me or pastor Gideon cannot do. There are people waiting to hear the word of God and the salvation of Jesus.


You are the salt and light of the world. Let us see our potential and share the gospel to the world.
SaveSave

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...