Sunday 28 February 2016

How to have Peace of Mind

Rev Gideon Lee

Sis Evelyn who does translation of the Bible for the orang asli at Wycliffe shared how our giving came at the right time because she was diagnosed with cancer even though she felt completely fine. Praise God the lump was discovered early but the support came at the right time. She also thanked the church for Vive to be chairman of the Wycliffe board. He really helped them at a difficult time.

We are living in troubled times and if we live by what we hear and what we see it can be very discouraging. I want to look at the life of Moses in the Book or Hebrews. It talks of faith.

Moses was called to specifically bring the Hebrews our of Egypt.

Hebrews 11:23-29
23 By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. 28 By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.
29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.

It's starts off with this statement - by faith. We are called to walk by faith and not by sight. In the story of Moses there was an edict that was given that all the Hebrew children were supposed to be put to death but by faith Moses' parents put him on a crocodile infested river. It takes faith.

We are a people of faith and God's peace can rest upon us even when we see and hear the things around us.

Moses by faith did not want to be known as Pharaoh's son. You all know the story. The princess decided to keep Moses as her own. As the son of the Princess growing up at the Palace. But instead of choosing to be Pharaoh's son, he chose to be with his people and be persecuted.

This morning let me start by telling you that we live in a very troubled world.

There are just days where things go wrong. It's stressful at work and so many things that get us down. But even in that we can have peace. Look at Moses. He's a poster boy of having peace. Two million people of God and everyone of them had their opinion. For him to lead them, Moses must have got something right. Whatever circumstances we are in we can still have the peace of God.

Moses made his decision very early in his life. He set his beginning right. These are the 4 questions that he set right. No matter what else happened after that he was a man of peace.

Numbers 12:3
(Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.)

  1. Who am I?

We need to know who we are. Who you are. Moses grew up with all the privileges in the palace but he grew up understanding that he was a Jew. And he asked what he's going to do about it. Is he going to pretend to be Pharaoh's son. To continue living this life. We need to answer this fundamental question. Who are you? He decided not to live this life even though it comes with this consequences.

Do you know that you are a child of God? If you are, are you living your life as a child of God or as the children of the world. Living your life as a Jew or as Pharaoh's son. He decided that he will stand on his identity as a child of God.

Have we compromised our identity. God loves you but he does not want you to continue in your sin. He wants only the best for you. Are you a child of God? Let's not dabble or continue to enjoy the pleasures of the world. Egypt represents the world.

What decisions would you have made if you were in Moses' shoes? If you were brought up as the son of the princess of Pharaoh. Would you choose to remain there or stop pretending to be an Egyptian? 

  1. Who do you want to be?

We have choices we have to make and these decisions have consequences. The Bible says he choose and because of his decision he will be treated and persecuted like the Jews. We may have to suffer because of our decisions. Moses made a choice and it resulted in being ill treated by the Egyptians. Being true to God may result in persecution. At some point of our life we have to make a choice. One day if it becomes illegal to be a Christian in Malaysia, will you continue to be a Christian? Look at the way things are going there may come a time when we have to make a decision and we will have peace. It is well with my soul.

He was forsaken by the royals and lost all his privileges. I want to challenge all of us, as we make the choice, we need to not just know who we are but to continue to live for God. We don't like it when we have to pay a price. When Eve sinned and God asked her what happened, what was Eve's reply? She said the serpent made her do it. And when God asked Adam, he said Eve asked him to take it.

In my house I have "nobody" and "I don't know". I asked who left this cup on the table and they said nobody or I don't know. We play the blame game.

When we make a stand for God it will cost us. One day I was driving and talking on the handphone. I was talking to my youth leader at Bible school. The police came and he saw me and motioned me to the side. Asked me for IC and license. He asked me "do you know you're wrong?" Then he asked me "macam mana?" He said the summon is RM300. Bible school student where have so much money. I said I'm sorry I know I'm wrong but I cannot pay. I asked him for forgiveness or if cannot issue the summon. He looked at me and said like that I write the summon. There are times they let me go but there are times you just have to pay the penalty.

We have to be a testimony of what we do.

One day I had chicken rice and I told the man to calculate. The amount was very little. I said how come so little. I took up my wallet and paid. But I looked and said cannot be his charges. When he came back with the change I asked him how much a plate and I said it cannot be. How many of us would just say thank you Jesus for that free meal or that he charge me less.  If someone give you less wouldn't you ask so if they charge you less, why not give back? I'm not saying I'm perfect but I made up my mind that the choices I make have to be pleasing to Him. Moses understood this.

He wanted to be God's chosen people and be willing to suffer for it. He refused to be known as Pharaoh's son. If I have a famous father I'd want to be known as his son.

  1. What was important in my life

v26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.

What are his priorities. The first is identity and second is on choices and the third are priority. He saw greater value in choosing Christ over the pleasures of Egypt. What are your priorities this morning? The eternal or temporary? Where was his reward? Heaven. He understood his priorities. He invested into the eternal.

You want peace in your life? What are your priorities? Some of us look at the power, the pleasure and the possession. That was what Egypt represented. Moses could have access to much power. Power doesn't last. It's not eternal. It's not forever. It's only for a season.

If you talk about pleasure? It does not last. Nothing wrong with some pamper of good things but it does not last. He would rather choose the cross. He wants the eternal.

Egypt could have given him all the nice things. Big chariots or palaces. The splendour of Egypt. But he chose eternal life. He was looking towards his rewards.

Do you know who you are? Are you making right choices? And what are your priorities?

All these things will not last and Moses knows this. That's why he made right choices. And finally…

  1. How am I going to live my life?

The key word here is with perseverance. That's the only way to live this life. The Bible tells us to don't give up. To live by faith takes perseverance. 

v27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.

Moses gave many excuses. When pastor ask us to serve in church we have many many reasons not to. Moses gave many excuses. He cannot speak because he stammers. Send my cousin. Aaron can speak better.

It's the same modus operandi. Perseverance is needed. Moses persevered. God says I'm with you. Go and talk to Pharaoh. It was not easy for Moses but he persevered. Two million people complaining all the time. For forty years when it would only have taken a month.

The call for all of us is to be faithful. When we stand before God one day we hope God would say well done thou good and faithful servant. Not what have you done my servant?


This morning, do you know who you are? Are you making right choices? And what are your priorities? Last but not least, we must be faithful and persevere.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...