Sunday 20 December 2015

The Christmas Story


The position for a breakthrough is to be humble before God. To be completely transparent before him. Amen?

This morning I had a wonderful time at the Hokkien service. I just enjoyed myself. It's been my 39th year full time serving the Lord and I'm wondering how long more I will continue to serve God.

Our children were born here and my father was here as a prisoner of war during the Japanese occupation. I picked up a lot of stories from my father so this place is very precious to me. And I have a sense of connection with this place. God kept my father alive so that's why I am here. When I get invited Penang I just cannot say no not because of the food but because of the connection.

Penang is a beautiful sight from Penang hill especially when I first came to Penang with one bag and both of us experienced a divine encounter. We just wept and wept and wept touched by the spirit of God for Penang. In the midst of all the captivity and oppression, I came to understand through the many years, God gave us a promise that his power will bring his plans and promises to pass.

We came with two bags but left with 60 boxes and two children, one boy and one girl. They are proud to be Penang born. God still loves the people of Penang. The Holy Spirit is still working powerfully in Penang and it is God that brought his gospel here.

Today, let me continue with the Christmas Story.

Isaiah 9:1-2
To Us a Child Is Born
1 Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the Gentiles, by the way of the sea, along the Jordan–
2 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

This Christmas Story was prophesied even at that time 700 years ago. There was a spiritual darkness that covered the land of Israel and Isaiah prophesied that God will give us a son. This was a prophesy. That the gloom and doom will not last forever. This was the promised given.

When you read about the whole world situation today, I want to say that there is good news that will come. Those that recognised the messiah as their Saviour, they will have hope.

Galatians 4:4
But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law,

Jesus came at the right time. Never too early or too late. Whatever God promises he will bring it to pass. And whatever he planned it will not be hijacked or obstructed but it will come to pass.

There will be a quickening in our heart that he is no ordinary Messiah but that he came for my sin and your sin. Very personal.

He is called Wonderful Counsellor.

He will be the King of the Jews. That's why Herod felt threatened. So he killed all children two years and below. He is no ordinary king. He is the King of kings and Lord of lords. No one can dethrone Jesus. Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord. A name above every name. There is power in that name. And he will carry out a plan that will marvel the world. A marvellous plan and it will come to pass.

He is the Mighty God.

I pray that you will catch a deeper revelation of who he is. The world don't like to be told what to do. Just grant them a revelation of who he is that they may know God for who he is. All of the transformation will happen inside their lives.

He is not Jesus my Saviour. We have to move on from there. I am married to my wife for 42 years and I am still trying to figure her out. What more about God. More mysterious than my wife. My knowledge of knowing him continues to grow daily. What matters most is that we were born to know God. It's all about knowing about the one we will live with for eternity. Success is knowing the master. You have succeeded if you know more about God.

The Everlasting Father.

He carries the lamb in his arms close to his heart. Isaiah saw a glimpse of the Messiah as a Shepherd. Who carry his lambs close to his heart. The Christmas Story, Isaiah saw it 700 years ago.

The world is headed for destruction. Like Noah's time. We know the story. The flood came and all was destroyed except for him and his family. The Bible said there will be earthquakes and famine. It's prophesied in this book a long time ago. That there is trouble in the world. Until today the Bible is the best seller in the world. It reveals to us what is to come so that we can live our life to the maximum. If we respond to the grace of God just like Noah, our family will be saved.

Last night I testified about how God saved my son's life from drowning. The world is drowning in sin.

Most Bible students finish their degree and they leave. I was different. What I learnt in class in the morning I apply in the afternoon. It's called practical theology. I faced the most difficult people at the centre. One of them is a young man who's now at DUMC. Not just him but I have about 7 young men whose life has been transformed. What God plan he will bring it to pass. His plans are not impossible but if it is our plans, it can bring a lot of frustration. His plans are the best plans that can happen in our life. He is not a God that he should lie. He will always keep his promises. Whatever he promises will come to pass. He is perfect. He is God. One of the promises that he makes is that he will never leave you nor forsake you.

He not just had the plan to save the world, but he had the power. New age says I have the power but Christianity says God has the power.

He is described as the Mighty God. Amy sang the song this morning.

Abraham was given a promise of God at 75 years old. That he will make him the father of nations. Sarah was 10 years younger. God decided to make it even longer so that it is really really impossible. At 99 and 89, it is biologically impossible. By the time Abraham was 99, he was almost giving up and God reminded him he made him a promise. If I was Abraham I would ask for some details. Like who's the best doctor or what fertility pill can make it work? All God did was reveal himself. A revelation of himself.

El Shaddai. No one can resist me. I am all powerful and almighty. To bring it to past. That's the revelation and one year later Isaac came into the picture. Sarah laughed. I'm going to get pregnant at 89? What will my neighbours think? It's impossible. But with God the impossible becomes possible. If he promised it, and for his plans to come to pass, the invisible becomes visible.

I struggled with God for my healing. It became not about my healing but about God testing me. This body and this eye doesn't belong to me. If I have to be a one-eyed preacher, I will be a one-eyed preacher to God. To die to myself then the miracle happens. No longer my plans but God's plans. It's not Jesus follow me but that God's plan is our plans. Literally giving your life and go with his flow. And the revelation of God will come to you. That was what happened to Abraham. He was a rich man at that time but he let go in his journey with God. Abraham and Sarah had a child.

Christmas. How could Mary have a child? What was impossible became possible because it was prophesied 700 years ago. The Mighty God. El Gibor. Today you learn a new word. Jesus is a real person that walked this earth. He became fully God and fully man so that he can be touched and be heard. So that when you see him you see God. He wants  to be with you. That's our God. Nothing complicated. Our everlasting hero. Our real hero.

When my granddaughter was about to be born, we were so excited. But my daughter-in-law started bleeding and we thought she may abort. She was bleeding for months and months even when she was about to deliver. I'm told by my son that she bled so much that half her blood in her body was lost. They had to do blood transfusion during delivery. All we can do is to pray and pray and pray. Trust in God. God uses these trouble in our lives for us to continue to trust in him. This is life in reality. It's not text book or theory. When my granddaughter born, my son told me to come and watch my beautiful granddaughter. I am biased but she's most beautiful. When I went to carry her, my son said be careful, be careful. As if I have never carried him before (laughs). So precious. We are all so precious to God that he hold us close to his heart. And God said to me, this is how I carry you. And at that time I went through a very difficult time in my ministry. I went though a depression at that time. Don't think preachers are superman. I was not.

Just as a father carries a son, this is how God will carry you until you reach you final destination. That is God's comfort to us in our life.

Finally, God is personal.

His name is called Emmanuel.

God gives us a revelation that he is a creator. A general revelation that there is a God but Christmas is his specific revelation to the world.

One of the things I love is to talk to my granddaughter over Skype or Face time. She has a funny accent. I can see and hear her. And she place her hands on the screen but we can't touch. I can see and hear her but I can't touch her. Sometimes I think of God like that. He could have just talk and show us and not come down. He chose to send his only son so that we can touch him. To see him.

The woman with the issue of blood touched Jesus' cloak and a miracle happened. He is with us. Emmanuel. God with us. He will come and stand with you in you trouble. He is our advocate. He promised he will never leave you or forsake you. That is the promise of God.


At the end of the day, we can't bring one sand with us. Not your house, your BMW, your Mercedes. Nothing. All we have is the promise of God. I will never leave you. I will never forsake you.

Amy Yeoh and team led us in an acoustic worship session
Ps Gideon praying for Amy, Marcus and Melvin before they left to catch their flight home.
Rev Ronald Ooi - The Christmas Story


Rev Ronald Ooi praying for Ps Gideon


No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...