Sunday 8 March 2015

Three Marks of a Victorious Christian

Rev Gideon Lee
Mark 8:31-38
Jesus Predicts His Death and Resurrection
31 And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke this word openly. Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him. 33 But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, “Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”
Take Up the Cross and Follow Him
34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

This is Jesus talking as he is at the end of his ministry. Peter took him aside and rebuke Him. Emotions were high and Peter did not hear what he wanted. But Peter did not hear that Jesus said on his third day he will rise again. We are so often looking only at the negative. Jesus rebuked him and told him to get behind me Satan.

Jesus then talked about eternal life. That if we gave our life for his namesake we will find it.

And then Jesus spoke a most famous verse.
36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

I want to start by telling a story. There was a great Zulu leader named Shaka. He ruled the Zulu nation in the 18th century. But many condemned him for his brutality.

The British was trying to make peace with this king. They tried to offer him many gifts, all sorts. Like bribes you may say. They sent one man named captain Francis Farewell to initiate a peace treaty. He had a good relationship with this king. He was asked to go negotiate with Shaka. He was well received because the Shaka liked him.

Shaka entered the room and sat on his throne and asked captain Farewell, how do you catch a monkey? The captain said you find a gourd with a narrow end. You cut off the gourd at the narrow end and you put some fruits or shiny objects in and you put it where the monkeys are.

The curious monkeys will put his hand inside and try to grab what's in there. Once the monkey grab hold of the objects or fruits, they won't let go as the fist will be caught. So that's how you catch a monkey.

The king said you are right. Why he asked did the monkey not let go? And Farewell said its because of greed, because he thinks he can get what he wants. The king turn to Farewell and asked "what have you brought this monkey. "

Sometimes we crave for what's in the world. The shiny objects and sometimes we won't let go.

The first thing to be a victorious Christian  is this.

  1. We must learn to let go or be a loser.

We have first got to be losers. The bible says whoever who wants to save his life will lose it. But those that lose his life for the gospel's sake will find it. We have to learn to let go. Like bad habits. Or something on our life God is asking us to let go.

Maybe  it's a relationship that God is wanting you to let go. Some people ask me how I know if a person is my life partner? I always say do not be unequally yolk. That is biblical. Any other thing whether the person is tall, short, fat or thin that's your choice.

Or maybe a job that's not for us. I used to tell my youth that there are jobs that we do not take. Like working in a pub. Or companies that deal with liqueur. Like Carlsberg has very good work packages. Like their perks and benefits. They have their own canteen and the beer is free flow. I tell them the benefits may be good but it's not good for your soul. Or the British Tobacco company. Some jobs are just not for us. Some people say I'm old fashion. I tell you I'm just God fashioned.

Sometimes promotion comes and we must not just take it. When I was waiting for my SPM results my father volunteered me as an attendant in a kindergarten bus. I have to wake up early, no pay and screaming children. My father was on the board and he volunteered me (laughs).

What I'm trying to say is I'm the first to be in church. I'd wait for the bus driver to come so one day I noticed a car parked at the parking lot. I walked there and I saw this man in his car praying. I know he was going through some difficulties and I saw him everyday in church early in his car praying. Then one day I didn't see his car anymore. Or saw him coming to church anymore.

Later I found out that he was too busy to come. Business picked up. So good that he had to work ion Sunday. So good that he had to be early at the office. So good that he forgot God. Ask this, will this job take me away from God? Will this hobby take me away from God? Like marathons on Sunday? We may have to give up something.

God often speaks to us because he wants us to change. We have given up our old nature so that we can have eternal life. Is God asking you this morning to be a loser?

Some of us have to let go of our hurts. We need to give past hurts to God and not take it back. Let it go. It's better for you.

Last week I came home and my neighbour across the street has a mum that is having chemotherapy. I saw her falling down in her driveway. I quickly got to her house and called her. She was semi conscious and I rang the bell but no one in the house. So I climb over the gate and asked if the auntie is ok. She could not respond so I make her sit down. She was just skin and bones. She had a big bruise on her cheek.

After she regained her consciousness I brought her inside and she said all the children are working. I asked her to call the children and she said no la. I'll disturb them. That's a mother's heart. Finally she called and told the son she fell but told her no need to come home. I am wondering why the son didn't drop what he was doing and come home. He didn't come home. I gave her my mobile and house number and I left. The son didn't come back until evening after work. I thought maybe the son would come back and maybe said thank you.  I was angry. Then God spoke to me, Gideon, you did it for me or them. Is there something you need to let go? The hurts. Some of the counseling I had was hurts that happened 10,000 years ago.

  1. We need to depend on Jesus, not the world.

Most of the time we don't depend on God. The first sign of trouble we try to solve it ourselves. How often we should come to him in prayer.

There was a signboard at a thread factory. At the first sign of trouble call the foreman. There was this new lady who was using the machine and the thread got entangled and knotted. Finally the lady couldn't undo it and called the foreman. The lady said sorry but I was doing my best.  The foreman said the best you can do is to call me. You would not have been in this mess.

The Nepal team did not manage to go to Nepal. There was a plane crash at Kathmandu and they could not remove the plane so there was a delay. They were in the KL airport and today they're coming back. We can plan but we need to depend on God. Some things are beyond our control.

Last but not least.

  1. We need to stop being the leader.

How many of you know this song. Shepherd of my soul, I give you full control, wherever you may go I will follow. When you call Jesus Lord, he is in control. We follow. He say sit, we sit and he say stand, we stand. I asked the youth who is greater? God is greater or you are greater? They said God. So is God on your side or you are on God's side. We often want to do things our way. We ask God to endorse what we decide. God where you lead I may follow. Church, are we victorious Christians? Do we want to be victorious Christians? Then let's learn to follow God.

If you want to run the race put aside every sin and weight and run the race that God has set for you. All of us has a race to run. The winners are those who finish the race. I want to see you succeed as you run the race. If you fall, I don't mind stopping to help you. I want you to finish your race because that's where you get your prize. All of us makes it to the end.

Hebrews 12:1-2
​Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Back in the 15th century there was a famous king call Charlemagne. He was the father of modern Europe. He laid the foundation for Germany and France. He forced people to become Christian. When he died they put him on armchair and buried him. He was buried seated down.  On his lap they put a bible and it was opened to Mark 8 and his finger was on verse 36.

Mark 8:36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?


If we want to run the race we must put down these weights. We have to learn to let go, depend on God and follow him.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...