Sunday 6 April 2014

Arise! Shine!

Rev Christopher Kee

I left Penang in '87, '88. Before I left to bible school I was a very troubled person. Nobody can believe I can become a pastor. Bro Allan know me from young. I'm one of the naughty ones. 

I am now in Melbourne. The last 10 years of ministry I was one of the founder of Rumah Charis. Today it has grown. In one of them we started with only a few but now has 150 Indian children. We want to give them a life. In KL the Indians were seen as gangsters. We have to give them a life and start them young. 

We have to be serious with God to serve. The bible says deny yourself. 

I am going to be talking about Isaiah 60. Arise, you have to do something. Arise is an action. Then what? Arise then shine. When you arise something will happen. You will shine. God is asking us to shine. 

The worship leader sang God is able and it's true. God is able. In Indonesia during a service, first day nothing happened. Second day, a lot of things happened. A lady prophesied in Mandarin and then another in Hokkien. And they said the same thing. Coincidence? No, it was God. The Chinese there are 4th or 5th generation so they don't speak a word of Mandarin or Hokkien. I also prophesied in Bahasa Indonesia. I am a Malaysian and even my Malay is not too good so it was God. 

A simple Penang boy used by God. 

Isaiah 60:1-4
The Glory of Zion
1 “Arise, shine, for your light has come,
and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.
2 See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the peoples,
but the Lord rises upon you
and his glory appears over you.
3 Nations will come to your light,
and kings to the brightness of your dawn.
4 “Lift up your eyes and look about you:
All assemble and come to you;
your sons come from afar,
and your daughters are carried on the arm.

Who is the light? You are the light. Even kings would come to the light. You are the salt. You are the flavour. Even the Gentiles will come to the light. You have to shine. You have to influence the little children. 

The light will draw and attract. We are the light. So they will come and we can minster to them. 

In Melbourne one of the ministry we have is social ministry. We have a coffee machine with the phrase "Have a cuppa with us". The people there will know we have a church there. When they come we just chat with them. No preaching. Then we can minster to them. 

We also have a "Help Yourself" day. Where our members donate items for people to take. Washing machine, ovens, books etc. Unlike here, all the items are usable and in good condition. We also have a book where you can write down what you need. And they can come on Sunday to sign and take what they need. We don't force them to attend church. But many came and stayed for the service. 

We also give therapy at no charge. In Australia, 45 mins counselling I charge 100.00. But they listen and they don't have to pay. 

When people see you and how you live and act, they will be drawn to you. You are a light. Are you behaving like a Christian and not just be a Christian?

We need worship leaders, we need musicians, we need cell leaders, where are you? You are here to serve and minister. You are the light. 

In Charis Home, we had a Buddhist lady who gave food. She asked me why are you doing this? I have to clean an old man who had sores and ribs with open wounds. When he shit I have to clean him. It's not a pleasant work. Are you willing to do it? Some don't even do it for their parents. Shame on you. She cried and accepted the Lord. 

I just met her recently at Rumah Charis and she said she accepted Jesus not because I forced her but because I showed her. From "omi thor hoot" to hallelujah. 

When you become the light, kings will come to you. We have a prayer breakfast and the chief of Conga islands attend. You need to arise and shine. Are you ready to shine? Are you ready to arise?

A prince of the current Agong always calls me when in Melbourne. I will take him out to eat. When in KL I'll call him and we meet to eat. He knows I'm a pastor. When we shine, even kings will come. I am not boasting. There is nothing to boast about. We are the light. 

What kind of christian are you? How do you treat your wife? How do you treat your maid? If you drink, your children will probably be an alcoholic. If you hit your wife, your children will pick it up. It's call behaviour conditioning. 

Arise and shine is an action word, to shine. We shall be radiant. God wants you to glow. What kind of fragrance are you? Why do we put perfume or cologne? To smell nice?

How do we smell before God? Does it stink? That's like the drain where rats are. Or do we smell fragrant before God. 

Isaiah 60:5
Then you will look and be radiant,
your heart will throb and swell with joy;
the wealth on the seas will be brought to you,
to you the riches of the nations will come.

God is saying clearly that we shall become radiant and our heart will swell. And abundance will come to you. That is God's promise. 

When I was in Australia, houses was given to me for many years. It was in a luxurious location. And I got cars. Never had to ask. God is good. Someone also gave A$200 every month. That's my pay. We started in a garage like Steve Jobs. God provided. I even got a blank cheque given to me to handle rentals. First time. 

When you arise and shine, you will have God's abundance. You have to work with your Pastor Gideon. He didn't pay me to say this. 

We are not here to warm the pews. We need to arise. 

Isaiah 60:11-12
Your gates will always stand open,
they will never be shut, day or night,
so that men may bring you the wealth of the nations –
their kings led in triumphal procession.
12 For the nation or kingdom that will not serve you will perish;
it will be utterly ruined.

The blessings of God will come. You need to arise. And to shine. Get involve in ministry. Be an influence. 

I deal with university students. And many who don't have strong Christian influence are influenced by the culture in Australia. Influence the young now. 

Make a difference by serving. And there is no retirement or time out in ministry. I still want to serve God at 90. There is no break in the kingdom of God. No rest stop. No toilet break. No stopping. We are called to serve him. We are called to arise. We are called to shine. 

Rev Christopher Kee delivering his fiery sermon.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...