Sunday 30 June 2013

An Empowering Life


Pastor Steven Teo

Most birds fly in flocks but the eagle flies alone. And if we are to experience more of God in our lives, then we will have to fly solo as well.

There is nothing wrong in enjoying people. To have good friends and counsel. But many times, our journey in life are necessarily solo.

Acts 7:9 “Because the patriarchs were jealous of Joseph, they sold him as a slave into Egypt. But God was with him

He was alone often. It was a solo flight for Joseph. His lack of discretion caused him problems but he was never alone. Because in his apparent loneliness, God was with him.

God spent years working in Joseph's life before he achieved greatness. God was never ever willing to leave him alone. In his most difficult period, he was never alone. God was with him orchestrating and empowering him to a position second to none. Joseph became the prime minister of Egypt. He was responsible for one of the most ambitious rescue operation the world has ever seen. He rescued the country from severe drought and food shortages including the savior of his own family that betrayed him.

The picture of his family bowing before him came to pass. But that is not the story I want to share with you but the subtleties behind the story. Why was he such an impact to his land and generation?

I believe there are three subtleties we will be wised to accept.

1. Character

Psalms 105:18-19 They bruised his feet with shackles, his neck was put in irons, 19 till what he foretold came to pass, till the word of the Lord proved him true.

We need character to do the work that God puts in our hearts. Our talents and gifts can help us but it is our character that determines our success. Our character is our greatest asset. Character is our moral asset.

An example is carrying conviction in our hearts. It is different from our believe. We all have a believe system. A conviction is the exact opposite. It catches a hold on us. It protects us and will not let us go. With conviction we will not cheat on our wife, or steal. Even when no one is watching.

Or godly obedience. Moses struck the rock twice in disobedience to God's instruction. I wondered what was the big sin? I discovered the severity in this act was when I was there in Jordan. These rock formation were soft limestone rocks. There are water trapped within this rocks. Moses was a desert dweller so he knew about these water sources. They knew how to track these water down. By hitting hard on these rock, so he actually did a natural thing and that was why God told him to speak to the rock. God wanted it to be a supernatural thing. God said he broke faith with me.

As a result he was denied entry to the promise land. At 120 years, he was not weak or his strength gone. God ensured that he had the strength to climb the mountain and eyes not dimmed to see the promise land. What finished his life was his punishment from entering the promise land.

Only after Joseph's character was forged before he achieved greatness. It took a while, after being sold as a young boy. Remember his coat of many colours. So you need to take heart that the picture of your future will come to pass when the time is right. But it's painful. God will not allow it until our heart is right. Hang in there and keep moulding that character.

2. Skills

While your character is being honed God is also working on your skills.

Psalms 105:22 to instruct his princes as he pleased and teach his elders wisdom.

We need to go through training. How many of you want to be operated on by a surgeon that had no training. Our situation must not dictate our life. Don't despise skills as God can use it as much as he can do without. These are orchestrated by a purposeful God to give you an empowering life. When God was through with Joseph, he was not only godly but wise.

It is astounding what God prepared him for. For his political, economical and social role and to impact the surrounding nations. And God is preparing you to impact our church, our city, our nation and beyond.

I never had any inclination to do law. All of my friends thought I had a screw loose up there. I went in because God told me to. I was reluctant because it was expensive and difficult. But every other door was closed including this but on a July I got a door open in Monash and I was given 3 says to sign up. I said no. I waited 3 years and now they want me to respond in 3 days! I said no but my wife said you have to. Wives are wonderful. They tell you what to do without understanding it. (laughs). I have a wonderful wife who knows when to open her mouth. She's generally a quiet person but when she speaks, nuggets of gold comes out so when my wife speaks, you listen.

I went in because God has given me the skills to do the work that he has for me. I believe the latter rain will be greater than the former rain for me even though I have a wonderful life in the corporate and itinerant work. Everything was just swell and I liked what I was doing. I have travelled the world speaking and doing workshops so I was happy.

But the bible says the steps of a righteous man is ordered by the Lord.

3. Purpose

All of us wish for success in life. We know success is never easy. But it is a lot easier if we make decisions with a purpose. Joseph understood his purpose. He knew why he was being empowered in the first place.

Psalms 105:37-38 He brought out Israel, laden with silver and gold, and from among their tribes no one faltered. 38 Egypt was glad when they left, because dread of Israel had fallen on them.

What he did impacted the nation until today. If you check the list of Nobel prize winners many were Jews. The nation of Israel impacted the whole world.

Genesis 41:51 Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, “It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father’s household.”

He went through a lot of suffering yet he never forgot his purpose. How do I know that? First, he forgave his family for their sins. He said they intended for evil but God turned it for good.

And secondly, Joseph saw the future. He knew what the future hold. When he instructed the people to carry his bones, many hundred years later, he knew God will take the nation out of Egypt. It all led to the freedom of the nation of Israel and he wanted to be a part of that even though he would not be around by then.

The bible says if God is for us who can be against us. God can get to be there on time to meet the right person because he is a purposeful God. He wants us to be a powerful people influencing others to accomplish His purpose. We were not called to be the borrower or the tail, but to be the head and lender.

We are to create the peer pressure. We can demonstrate to the whole world what we can be by being godly and righteous. We are the salt and the light of the world. He is working to ensure your life is fulfilled and fulfilling and that others will naturally gravitate towards you. That's what Jesus meant when he says rivers of living water will flow from us. Life must flow out from us and others can see what it is about you that is so different.

When I left my job and all my peers looked at me and thought that I was mad. And they thought I was madder, if there is such a word, when they found out I was going to bible school. And now I still get emails from these who is up there and very successful and I can sense the respect and honour that can only be because of God.

God makes no mistakes. He orchestrate and order events in our life to empower us. The apostle Paul knew his purpose, that all things work together for good to all that's called according to his purpose.

Your character, skills and purpose is what God will use to empower you to impact the world around you. God has a great plan for you.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...