Sunday 17 March 2013

Being the Salt and Light of the World





Rev Dr. Tan Soo-Inn

Pastor Gideon revealed my secret and he was very kind to allow me to preach here. I am thick skin since I asked to preach. (Laughs)

I am a Penang boy. I was a pastor at Georgetown Baptist Church in the late 80s. I remember TOP as one of the spiritual pioneers on this island and it's really a privilege to share here.

I really like your Big Party idea. Someone once said Jesus had no evangelistic method and his way of evangelizing was simply to have a meal with people. The Big Party is a representation of what Jesus did.

In my first life, I was a dentist. After practicing for 3 years, I obeyed God's call for my life. When I did that, many of my Christian friends said that they were surprised and very amazed that I gave up dentistry for ministry.

We divide the world into sacred and worldly. Under this kind of understanding, people separate the world into two sentiments - holy and worldly. I don't believe in this sort of hierarchy. God is the God of the totality of life. When we do what we are called to do, we are living a holy life.

Today's text is taken from Matthew 5:13-16 - "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

This is a word for every believer. I want to make a few points today.

1. Christians have been called to the ministry preservation.
We relate salt to taste. In Jesus' time, salt was used for many purposes. Those time, if you have more meat - no fridge during Jesus time - salt will kill the bacteria and preserve the food. It kept things from going bad. Salt was also used as fertilizer and for curing wine skin.

By its very presence, it was essential for life. When we live out kingdom values, you help preserve society. Daring to take a stand for Christ is a rallying point for morality. Nobody can stop you from being the salt. God puts you in different places to bless society as a whole. There is no second class citizen in the kingdom of God. You are blessing society where God has called you to be at.

2. Ministry of revelation.
Light reveals what is right from wrong. People will see your good works and see your Heavenly Father. God is invisible. People see God in how God's people live out kingdom values. We reveal the reality of God. When we live out kingdom values, we flash out the Gospel. Our lives should provoke the question for which God is the answer. We reveal the reality of God by how we live. People always take notice of people who are different. The world is not interested in people who promises something but don't deliver. We reveal the reality and character of God. We have to live lives of integrity.

It's tough but I don't believe it's impossible. God has different assignments for us. Sometimes, we glamorize full-time ministry. Where we don't penetrate for Christ, we surrender by default to the Devil.

I want each of you to know the dignity of your calling. This message that we have to be "on" everyday for God has cost me, but it's something I know I'm called to do.

I tell doctors and dentists, people meet you during times of pain. Do you show a professional face or a compassionate face?

The Lord says to you today, "I appointed you to be the salt and light wherever you are."

Special thanks to Melissa Cheah for transcribing this sermon in my absence. She is a real blessing. Blessed to be a blessing.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...