Sunday 17 February 2013

Sacrificial Generosity




Bro Vive looking smart in traditional Chinese suit befitting the Lunar New Year.


Last night I got a call from Pastor Gideon and he asked me if I could take the pulpit today as his throat was bad. I was preparing my youth message at that time. But praise God, it is good to serve God.

A rich man who once asked his priest, "Why does everybody call me stingy when everyone knows that when I die I will leave everything I have to this temple?"

The priest said:

"There once was a pig and a cow. The pig was unpopular and the cow was loved by all in the village. This puzzled the pig.

The pig said to the cow:

'People speak warmly of your good nature and your helpful attitude. They think you are very generous because each day you give them milk, butter and cheese. But how about me? I give them everything I have. I give them the famous sausages, bacon and ham i.e. my entire body.
Yet no one likes me. Why is that?'

The priest continued: "Do you know what the cow answered?

The cow said, 'Perhaps it is because I give while I am still living.'

I felt that at this time during the Chinese New Year it is appropriate to talk about generosity. And I want to title my message sacrificial generosity.

Acts 2:42-47
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved
.

This passage presents to us the beginning of the church life. A very dynamic church. I chose this word because it they were first alive and they were active. They don't just sit, soak and sour. They did not just go through the motion but they were giving their life to ministry.

They bear fruit in the kingdom of God. On the expression of their togetherness they pool their resources together. They sold their possession, though I am not telling you to sell your house. It was not demanded or required by the leaders but it was a free response as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit. What a standard they set.

What is generosity? Is it like we look through what we don't need in our garage and pick up all the things we don't need and bring it to the Salvation Army. Some of us may be a little better and wash our old clothes before giving them. Is that generosity? No. That is more like cleaning out your wardrobe.

I want to use an illustration. Eric, can you please come? Eric will be leaving us soon as this is his last Sunday before leaving for his studies in Sarawak.

Eric, imagine him a malnutrition man who has not eaten for two days. And here I have 10 ringgit and I have just taken my meal. And Eric look at me and asked for 10 ringgit. And I look at Eric and tell him I have only 10 ringgit and if I give to you I will have nothing left. Then I said I pray for him and that God will meet all his needs. God is Jehovah Jireh and will provide all his needs including the 10 ringgit he needed. Go brother in faith. Is that generosity? No.

Generosity is a lifestyle of sharing. Whatever we have much or little we look at opportunity to share with others. Remember the widow at the temple court? Jesus said she gave more than all the others even though she had only 2 copper coins. In that we can understand what is generosity.

We are living in a world where selfishness have crept in. And we ask this question: why should we be generous? Let's look at why.

Generosity is rewarding.

Acts 20:35
I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘ It is more blessed to give than to receive. ’”


The Greek word for blessed "makarios" means happy. If I can paraphrase: It is more happy to give than to receive. This is the reason why generous people are happy people. Giving makes us feel good. It is one of the most beautiful verse in the bible but also a most disbelieved verse because of our sinful nature.

Proverbs 11:25
The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.

Proverbs 22:9
A generous man will himself be blessed,
for he shares his food with the poor.

Psalms 112:5
A good man deals graciously and lends;
He will guide his affairs with discretion.


Generosity builds our faith.

It builds the faith of the giver.

Deuteronomy 15:19
The Law Concerning Firstborn Animals
19 “All the firstborn males that come from your herd and your flock you shall sanctify to the Lord your God; you shall do no work with the firstborn of your herd, nor shear the firstborn of your flock.


This is a model that God have given to the Israelites. It is very difficult for them. Because when they give the firstborn, they are not certain there will be a second born. They are putting their trust in God. It is easier for us in giving our tithes.

I was talking to Melissa from YWAM as they were farmers and she told me that their stock always deliver twins. And the daughter's sheep delivers triplets. Praise the Lord. Generosity builds the faith of the believer.

Giving our first-fruits recognize that all we have belongs to God. It is a statement of trust and faith.

Generosity also builds the faith of the receiver.

When I first went to college, my dad could only afford 100 ringgit a month. That was all he could afford back in 1992. I got a study grant and it did not cover my meals and hostel. Back then things was getting expensive. My hostel was RM35. Unlike today when students room with one or two roommates. There was 40 of us in that room. So I have RM65 left for the rest and a good brother taught me to pay my tithes. Then there was a brother who faithfully gave me RM50 a month and he never failed for 3 years. God was so good and I never went hungry throughout my college years except when the church had prayer and fasting.

Sometimes I will long for something and God always met that desire. Generosity builds our faith.

Generosity is God's attribute.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.


God loves a cheerful giver because God himself is a cheerful giver. He gave the ultimate sacrifice for us. Our God is a great giver. John 3:16 is a great example of that.

If the trademark of God is giving, shouldn't we carry that trademark? We have to wear His trademark.

How we can be generous?

There are many ways but I want to share the three Ts.

We can be generous with our Time.

It is so common for us to say we have no time. Pastor calls and we say we are busy. Time is becoming a commodity that is so precious to us. Unfortunately we use that commodity for our own need failing to see that time is what God gave us.

Psalms 90:12
Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.


We learn to number our days.

Time is precious but we do not know yet know how precious it is. We only know when we are no longer able to take advantage of it.

God has given us time to serve Him. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is coming. Today is the opportunity to serve the Lord. Never postpone the purpose God has in your life to tomorrow. Don't neglect the time and opportunity to serve Him.

A meteor struck Russia and more than 1,000 people got hurt. Thank God is was a small one. We never know what will happen tomorrow.

We had a Myanmarese member in the church in Klang. He was in church and he suddenly fell flat. Everyone thought that he was slain in the spirit. Only later we realized that he had no pulse. He died in the service. What a glorious way to go but what I am saying is that we don't know what will happen tomorrow.

Ephesians 4:1
Unity in the Body of Christ
1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.

Ephesians 5:15-16
Be very careful, then, how you live –not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.


Paul taught the Christians to live a life worthy of God. Paul taught them to redeem their time because the days are evil. Time is an important commodity.

In the story of the good Samaritan, one of the first things was that he offered him his time. He offered time to the man who was on the ground. He invested his time. He must have been a busy traveller. He was generous with his time.

I am very critical about coming to church early. It shows how reverend I am with God. I am sorry I am being very direct. If my CEO wants to see me at 10.00 I will make sure I am there by 9.45 not 10.00. I will be early.

If I get a PJK, some call it "Perut Jalan Kehadapan" I will make sure I am early for the ceremony. If the programme says 9.00am, I won't be going at 9.30am right? But why when we come to see our King of Kings, why are we late? I pray you'll search your heart. I was taught well by my youth leader.

Serving God requires time. Don't take your your time to serve God for granted.

We can be generous with our Talent.

1 Peter 4:10
As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.


There is no such thing as a good for nothing in the house of God. God has given us unique talents to serve God. We can serve with whatever talent he has given us. It could be cooking, or given the talent to be an encouragement to someone, even as simple as a hug. What have you done with your talents?

Some of you may be a retired musician. God has given you a tremendous talent and the business of life have let you put it aside. Give your talents to God.

We can be generous with our Treasure.

There was this pastor who says: We have the money for our building. Unfortunately, the money is in your pocket.

Remember the guy who gave me RM50? He was not a rich guy. He was on a motorcycle working as a construction supervisor. It is not how much you have but how big is your heart.

Remember the Widow of Zarephath?

1 Kings 17:9-16
“Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food.” 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” 11 As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.”
12 “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread–only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it–and die.”
13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says:‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord gives rain on the land. ’”
15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.


Imagine if Pastor Gideon visits you Joanna, and you had one last Bak Kua in your house, your last meal. No more pig in town and that's all you have. Imagine, Pastor Gideon asking you to give him that last Bak Kua.

The widow gave and trusted God to provide. The bible talked about her jar was never empty. It never run dry. The woman gave out of her limited resources to the Lord.

Why have God prospered us so much? Not to raise our standard of living but to raise our standard of giving.

2 Corinthians 9:11
You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.


Unfortunately many times we have this notion that whatever we have is ours.

Psalms 24:1
The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it;


The bible says the world and all within it is the Lord's. So are we the owner? We should ask what does the owner want us to do with the resources. In Christian terms we use a beautiful term called God's Stewart.

It is time to look at the treasures that God has given us and what we do with that treasure.

Or the time that we have, we have to look at how we allocate it.

And what are we doing with the talents that God has given us.

True generosity is giving away something we want and giving it to the other who have need of it.

I was so amazed to see the generosity of the early Christians. In the books of Acts it was stated there were no needy people at that time as they shared their resources. There were no needy person among them. There are people out there that needs our treasure. Are we going to share or keep it all for ourselves?

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...