Sunday 6 January 2013

Realise your potential in God



The New Year is one of the most observed holidays in the world. And as we enter the new year very often, people look back and see regrets and the new year is a time to make resolutions so that we don't make the same mistakes again. It is the perfect time for change as we enter a new year.

Ask someone close to you or your spouse if you need to change and you can expect a long list. There is nothing wrong with making resolutions to make a change for the better. And we can only know if we can do it at the end of the year.

That is basically the essence of my message today.

John 1:1 is a very familiar passage and I will not be going into it in detail but we want to see what we can draw from here as we enter the new year.

John 1:1-13
The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
6 There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9 The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Verse 13 that ALL who believed in His name he gave right to be CHILDREN OF GOD.

John 1:14-18
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
15 John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me. ’” 16 From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.


Verse 16 says RECEIVED ONE BLESSING AFTER ANOTHER.

This portion of scripture tells me that I have a future. It does not talk about my past or present but my future. The future I have in the Lord.

There is this person who told his people to write all their regrets down on a piece of paper. Some will be longer than others. Then he tells them to burn that piece of paper. If that works then we don't need all the asylums.

But here I want to look at our future. We want to walk towards the future that God has in store for us.

The bible says we are heirs, as children of God. That is the potential that we have. Many of us has unrealized potential. One day I was following a Kancil, and it says on the bumper sticker, "When I grow up I want to be a Mercedes."
(laughs)

How many of you when you were born, you speak English? Or Tamil or Hokkien? We have to learn the language right? All babies have the potential and capacity to learn any language. So if you are a Chinese and is put in an Indian home you'll grow up speaking Tamil. We have the potential.

When God looks at you He don't look at your failures or your past. He said He gave you the right to be children of God. He looks at you at what you can be, the potential of who you can be.

Two weeks ago, I said we often have to go through the worst before we get to the better. Before God's promise come to past. Like Joseph, who had to go to prison before he became a king. I also looked at Job, who lost all before he received his blessing. I pray that even as we go through testings we will continue to be faithful like Job.

There are two things that hit us real bad, our possessions and worst our health. And Job had sores, covered from his head to the sole of his feet. I like this, God said to Satan, you can touch him but do not take his life. Even in the bad, God is there. He will make something good in all situations, even in life and death. The devil has no control over it but God and the devil will have to obey.

I shared that when my father was the first to become a Christian and when he told his parents, he got kicked out. How many of you have seen an exciting young Christian go home to tell their parents that they are now a Christian. They will probably get a tight slap. Some is afraid to tell because of this.

God said those who believed, he said they will be children of God. That's our potential to be free from sin.

At Bro Wilbur's father's funeral, we heard how one by one every family member became saved. And Bro Wilbur said that his father was a chain smoker and even though he tried to give up he could not. But when he was saved, the last in the family to receive Christ, he gave up smoking. When he could not then, as a child of God he could. To be free from sin.

The same with Bro Rodney, who was able to give up smoking right after his water baptism. I know Bro Rodney won't mind me sharing this. The power to be free from sin.

I remembered there was time when I was far from God and one of the things I struggled with was drinking. I could drink like a fish, that's why I love fish. But when I got serious with God, I had the power to give it up. As we draw near to God, he will help us to do what we can't do. When we draw close to God that is what He does.

You cannot draw close to God and not have him deal with you. That's because He loves you. I am just glad that He deals with us one thing at a time. If He deals with all of it at one time, we sure die.

Do you know what's the difference between the Holy Spirit and your conscience? That's another topic. When God looks at us, He sees our potential. It doesn't mean that when you are 80 or 90 years old, God cannot deal with you. He can.

As we look at Tabernacle of Praise, got potential or not? I hope you say yes. When I first came, when I saw the church, I saw a church with potential. I did not look with my own eyes but through God's eyes and I see potential. I look at all of you and I see potential pastors. That is why we have opportunities for our members to preach, like Sis Melinda and Bro Koay. This church has potential. And at the end of my life, each one of you will be better than me. Preach better than me or be more handsome than me. (laughs)

I am not like the old Chinese Kung Fu master. Where he teaches his disciples all except one skill where in case he revolt, he has one more Kung Fu step to kill him off. I am not like that. That's why I sent Lin Ken to bible school. So that he can come back and be better than me. Go for your Masters, I don't have a Masters, but I have a Master. I am not threatened.

During the funeral, I had all the cells conducted the service. One day I may not even have to be there. (But of course you know what I mean. I was at the wake every night.) Except for the last day where you have to have the license to marry and to bury. You have the potential.

The third floor. We want to build people as we build the church. So listen, when I ask you do do something, don't say cannot. Say pastor, with your help I will try. How many of you going for mission trip? Sarawak is just the tip. Sign up for missions, Cambodia which last year we missed out. We have the potential.

Not only physical potential but also spiritual potential. What it means is all of you can pray for people and they will get healed. The job of praying does not rest just on the pastor. Don't be afraid. Some is afraid to pray because they are afraid the person is not healed but die. Hey, not every one I pray for is healed. Remember, God is sovereign, our job is to pray.

God has no grandchildren. I have access to God, you have access to God. It's you and I. If anyone fall sick in your cell, don't call me but rise up and pray for the person. From now onwards if you want your house dedicated go see the cell leader. We will do it though the cell. Funeral, call your cell leader. Then call me. The wake service, the cell will do it. You need to rise up. Physically it is impossible for me to do it all. I want you to partner with me in ministry. There is a synergy when the cell takes the lead. That's how we will do it.

Pastor, what if I don't have a cell? That's why you need to be in a cell. Which cell to go to? Look at the bulletin. There is eight. We are going to streamline everything through the cell. You have the potential to do it all. That's why we are children of God not his grandchildren.

I will not be the kind of pastor that tell you 2013 will be all fine. But I will tell you that when the storm comes, the rain comes and problems come your way, he will be there with you. 2013 is a year of potential. As we prosper financially we will also prosper spiritually. In fact when you prosper spiritually, all things will work for you. The Bible says, seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you.

I pray that as we enter 2013, you will not be distracted, that causes confusion. You need to be careful and be ready. We need to watch our lips and words as it can tear down. Let's be a people that is blessed to be a blessing.

This morning I pray that you will know who you are in Christ and every day when you wake up you will know you are an heir in Christ.

No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...