Sunday 22 April 2012

Encountering God in Love

Bro Koay Kheng Hin

My last message was on Encountering God in Holiness. That was part one. I was praying that God would give me the opportunity to complete the message and I got a call from Pastor Gideon to take this Sunday as he was conducting a wedding in KL so here is part two.

The word love is used very very often. It is one of the most used word in the English dictionary. Actually love is a word that all of us are familiar with. Sad to say this word is also one of the most abused word in the English language.

Divorce is increasing a lot today in the world but sadly also the church. Expression of love is so common during courting but also sadly two very loving people can un-love each other after some years of marriage.

Recently in movies, I hear this quite often. "No matter what happens, my life is complete and I can say I have once loved and have been loved. No matter what happens, come what may, I have no more regrets because I have once love and have been loved" Even though I am a fifty over year old man, I felt very young again. So romantic, something I am working on.

Once in an earthquake in China, they found a lady holding a baby and though she was badly crushed by rocks, the baby was kept safe. That is sacrificial love.

All of us have an emptiness. We are made in the image of God so there is a spiritual hunger to worship God. On the other hand, worship of God is a loving worship and hence our hearts seeks after this love that transcends all else and which makes us empty without it.

Today I will talk about this greatest story of love. The bible tells a story, and it's the greatest love story in the world. I shared this at a wake service some time ago.

It doesn't matter how old you are. You may be in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s or even 70s and have gone through some difficult times. If you were asked to think of the deepest hurts you have ever felt you'll find that the scars remain. It is the most important thing in your life that hurts you the most.

Sometimes, when you lose a lot of money, there will be pain, anxiety and despair but you often will get pass it. However if you are betrayed, you can feel a pain that is so painful, so deep that sometimes in the middle of the night you break down. This kind of hurt is the most painful.

This is because this is how we are made. When we don't know the Lord, other relationship takes its place and hence you'll feel a deep hurt.

John 12:32
And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.”

Jesus in the 10 verses before talked about His impending death and the cross. But here, Jesus talked about how He dies, when He is lifted up, literally as on the cross.

The question is, what motivated Jesus to die a humble death on the cross of Calvary? What draws us to Him?

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

This verse tells us when He was on the cross it was a demonstration of His love for all men. The bible has a special word "agapao" for this love, unconditional love. All of us have not really developed agapao love. This is a love where God sees a sinner, condemned and no merit in them but God in His grace chose to love us. It is a choice, by will. God sees us as not deserving love yet He loves us.

Imagine Jesus on the cross until when He says "It is finished". It is a picture of God's love. It goes beyond words. A picture speaks a thousand words. This is love that He gave His life for you and me. It is a love that surpasses everything we know in our heart and head.

The sad part is the diagrams that you and I draw. We draw a picture of a cross where we cross over from being a sinner to becoming a new creation.

The problem with this diagram is that we see the cross behind us after this event. The problem with this is that we will relate with God based on the current circumstances. If it is good, you appreciate the love of God and when things are not so good you don't see the love of the cross. This problem is because you see the cross behind you.

Actually the cross is eternally before us. He is the author and the finisher of our faith. We are only able to slowly grasp the love of God when we have the cross always before us. The hymn, "The world behind me and the cross before me" is so true.

So in one sense the cross was behind us but in truth the cross is eternally before us. The bible says while we were yet sinners, God sent His Son to save us. There is a correspondence between sin and our love for God. If you think you are not a bad person, the value of the work of Christ on the cross may not be that significant. However if you are a terrible sinner, your appreciation of God's love may be much greater. John Newton saw what God had done for him when he wrote "Amazing Grace" because he was a slave driver.

This is something we have to learn. We were saved from a terribly hopeless state.

Learn to reflect on Jesus dieing on the cross. See how much He love you and you will reciprocate this love in your life. That love of God is poured out into your life. We will learn and grow to love God. We will grow in that intimacy. The Lord love me and laid down His life for me. A time will come when we can finally say I will lay down my life for Him.

The reason we can sit here and learn about Christ is because 300 years ago, many gave their lives for the preaching of the gospel to the heathens, to you and me. Many were killed by the very people they were trying to reach out to, like in Africa.

But things have changed much. Many who bring the gospel does so with fame and fortune today. What made Taylor Hudson and many like him lay down everything to go to faraway lands. If you ask them when you're in heaven, it'll be because of their love for Jesus.

If we ask a Christian, all will say they love the Lord. But God has a barometer to measure that love.

John 21:15-19
Jesus Restores Peter
15 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “ Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “ Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “ Feed My lambs.”
16 He said to him again a second time, “ Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?”
He said to Him, “ Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “ Tend My sheep.”
17 He said to him the third time, “ Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “ Do you love Me?”
And he said to Him, “ Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “ Feed My sheep.
18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.”
19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “ Follow Me.”

I used to read a lot of novels but after 16 years, my reading habit has changed. When you read a novel, you tend to go into the character. I used to read a lot of Tarzan. I was skinny and tall playing basketball, so I bought a whole series of Tarzan. I felt like Tarzan after reading them even though I was still skinny.

This is a real narrative, even more than Tarzan who is fictional. Here Jesus asked Peter a question. When Jesus asked Peter do you love me more than "these", the debate is what are "these" that Jesus referred to? We think it's the other disciples. See Matthew.

Matthew 26:33
Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”

The love here is agapao. Jesus asked Peter, "Do you truly "agapao" me more than these?" But Peter answered, "you know I "phileo" you". Jesus asked again, "Do you agapao me?" Again Peter answered, "Yes I phileo you". The third time, Jesus asked "Do you phileo me?" Then Peter replied "You know I phileo you."

Later in the epistles, Peter uses agapao and no longer uses phileo.

Agapao is unconditional love. Phileo is a love used between friends. Agapao is a love that refers to God. Phileo is between men. Agapao is total commitment and devotion but phileo is personal affection and fondness. They are of different levels of love.

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.

The bible says love your enemies. I find it hard to understand when your enemies may do terrible things to you and your family. We can forgive them but how to love them?

I love you but I don't like you. How does this make sense? It puzzles you. To connect this you can say I agapao you but I don't phileo you. Phileo comes from interaction. You cannot phileo everyone in church. Agapao has nothing to do with this relationship or interaction. I love you with the love of God, that's agapao.

If we go for a family holiday, we will probably choose those we relate with where we have a fondness or affection. That's phileo. Agapao goes beyond emotion and relationship. If pastor ask you to pray for someone who you don't really know, you will go down on your knees and pray for him. This is agapao love, even though there is no relationship. The closest to this is kindness.

Jesus knew the time will come when Peter will use agapao. Jesus saw into his future. Peter would live out that agapao and Peter did die for the cause. Peter requested to be crucified upside down as he said he is not worthy to be crucified like his Lord. That is agapao love.

What is the relationship between agapao and phileo? Agapao perfects phileo love. Phileo enhances agapao love.

Coming back to the novel thing, three times Jesus asked Peter. I want this to speak to your heart. The Lord is asking you, do you agapoa him? He ask you again and I pray He will not need to ask you a third time, because if He does it will be "do you phileo Him". If you agapao Him then this message would bear fruit.

John 21:19
This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “ Follow Me.”

Finally Jesus say "Follow Me".

The barometer of the test is "Love your neighbour as you love yourself. In the Christian faith, it is impossible for you to say you love the Lord but not your neighbour. This is the barometer.

John 14:15
Jesus Promises Another Helper
15 “ If you love Me, keep My commandments.

If you love God you will obey. It is a love that move you to holiness and an unconditional love for all men.

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

1 John 5:3-4
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.

Holiness is no longer burdensome when you love with the grace of God.

Word defining holiness - reverence
Word defining love - intimacy

Reverential intimacy
Intimate worship

A reverential intimacy. It is one that draws us to worship. In the aweness towards God, you still feel the intimacy of His love. That love will cause you to say because You are holy, I want to be holy. And because He laid down His life for you, you will lay down yours for Him.

I started with what hurts you most, or more aptly who hurts you most. Learn to lay it at the foot of the cross. Let agapao love take over and be able to forgive and pray for that person to be blessed.

Julius Caesar not just died but died a heart broken man because he was betrayed by Brutus. His last words was when he looked into the eyes of Brutus his friend, and cried "You too?" in Latin. He was not thinking about his empire or achievements, but about the betrayal of his friend.

I pray we will not be like that. And be victorious over the hurts that have held us captive. Agapao love allows us to move pass these hurts or betrayal.

Today I encourage all of us to feel the love of God and when the agapao love fills you it will change your Christian walk.


No comments:

God's Work by God's Power

Pastor Melinda Song Zechariah 4:1-6 (NIV) 1  Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from hi...